• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza, it's universal (more or less)

Bux

After just plain bread and sandwiches, pizza seems to be one the most widely available food preparations. I'm not even sure everyone who eats it regularly thinks of it as Italian. Are there many of us who haven't run across a place that sells "real NY pizza," someplace that wasn't in NY or Italy?

Authentic in style or not, where in the world, with a focus on the less expected places, have you had pizza of note? One of my memorable pizzas was sold by the square slice by an itinerant vendor in the southwest of France. It was sold off the back of a truck with wood burning oven in the open market of a small village. It was an excellent product made especially noteworty by the Bearn/Basque topping of chorizo and red pepper.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I agree, pizza belongs to the world, often under many different names. I haven't traveled as much as some of you to far off exotic places but I recently had a great pizza in Anguilla, it was made in a modified Naples style. I'd be very interested in hearing from some of you about exotic pizza-type foods you've had, bearing in mind that I define pizza simply as dough with something on it.

I guess the wildest pizza I had was at Roxanne's in Larkspur Calif., where everything, including the crust. was raw. The crust was made from almond flour and then dried in a dehydrator for crispness. I know raw food is taking a hit these days, but I thought it was great. As was the sushi pizza at Morimoto in Philly. Also, the Navaho flatbreads in Arizona reminded me of pizza, so I think it falls right in there.

Okay, now it's your turn folks...

I've always enjoyed that Japanese classic of tuna and corn for an odd combo that works as pizza. SPAM luncheon meat chopped with onions and thai peppers tossed with a bit of lime as a pizza topping was enjoyed in Palau.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.