• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in Charlotte?

Peter - thanks so much for joining us here. It's very exciting to have you participating in our community. During my quest for the ideal home made pizza crust I've often run across your name as a highly regarded reference.

By chance my beloved has relocated to Charlotte NC where Johnson & Wales now has a wonderful new campus. I'm not sure how often you're actually in Charlotte by virtue of your relationship with them but am curious as to your take on the pizza offerings there. It will take me many visits over the next year and quite some time after I move there in early 2005 to do more than scratch the surface on culinary offerings but pizza has always been an interest of mine.

I've seen an abundance of both national and regional chains but am unfamiliar with what else may exist there. As a dyed-in-the-wool Northeasterner I've often been disappointed with the pizza I've found in the South.

My questions:

1) Does Charlotte actually have places that make either old fashioned Neapolitan style pizza with nice chewy flavorful dough and quality mozzarella cheese (such as the stuff that was once the standard for great take-out slices in NYC although that breed has mostly disappeared) .... or..... places that come anywhere close to approximating the brick oven/coal oven style typified by the classic NYC places such as Totonno's, John's, Grimaldi's etc.

2) What's your take on the culinary market there? if such a place does not already exist would there be a viable opportunity for someone offering artisan quality pizza of this type in Charlotte? (I will quite likely be opening a coffee/espresso related business after my arrival in Charlotte but am curious about other opportunities worth exploring).

Peter - thanks so much for joining us here. It's very exciting to have you participating in our community. During my quest for the ideal home made pizza crust I've often run across your name as a highly regarded reference.

By chance my beloved has relocated to Charlotte NC where Johnson & Wales now has a wonderful new campus. I'm not sure how often you're actually in Charlotte by virtue of your relationship with them but am curious as to your take on the pizza offerings there.  It will take me many visits over the next year and quite some time after I move there in early 2005 to do more than scratch the surface on culinary offerings but pizza has always been an interest of mine.

I've seen an abundance of both national and regional chains but am unfamiliar with what else may exist there. As a dyed-in-the-wool Northeasterner I've often been disappointed with the pizza I've found in the South.

My questions:

1) Does Charlotte actually have places that make either old fashioned Neapolitan style pizza with nice chewy flavorful dough and quality mozzarella cheese (such as the stuff that was once the standard for great take-out slices in NYC although that breed has mostly disappeared) ....  or.....  places that come anywhere close to approximating the brick oven/coal oven style typified by the classic NYC places such as Totonno's, John's, Grimaldi's etc.

2)  What's your take on the culinary market there? if such a place does not already exist would there be a viable opportunity for someone offering artisan quality pizza of this type in Charlotte?  (I will quite likely be opening a coffee/espresso related business after my arrival in Charlotte but am curious about other opportunities worth exploring).

Hi Owen,

Can't wait for you to move down here and open a cafe. We do have a number of decent pizzerias in Charlotte but my favorite, the one closest to New York brick oven pizza, is called Louisa's. It's on Montfort Court Rd. Another place, Fuel Pizza does a decent NY Style street pizza (like Rays and all the Rays clones), but only Louisa's (on a good day), so far, could hold its own with, say Johns's.

In answer to your other question, yes, there is definitely a market for artisinal bakeres, pastry shops, and pizzerias here. This is a very dynamic, growing city and interest in good food is, as in so many other places, going wild. The farm markets probably best reflect this, and I've met some wonderful, dedicated growers. Call me when you land and I'll help you scout out a location.

Hi Owen,

Can't wait for you to move down here and open a cafe. We do have a number of decent pizzerias in Charlotte but my favorite, the one closest to New York brick oven pizza, is called Louisa's. It's on Montfort Court Rd. Another place, Fuel Pizza does a decent NY Style street pizza (like Rays and all the Rays clones), but only Louisa's (on a good day), so far, could hold its own with, say Johns's.

I'll second the recommendation on Luisa's. Their brick oven is the primary feature of the restaurant and it is openly visible when you walk in the door. Cooking in that oven adds a wonderful charred taste to everything that they place in it. Luisa's deserves far greater attention than it receives in the various pizza surveys taken in Charlotte.

Another decent place for NY-style street pizza is Portofino's, which is the granddaddy of the Charlotte pizza scene. There are two locations: the original, on Eastway, in a strip shopping center next to a great little Peruvian-Chinese spot called El Loco Pollo and another, in fancier digs, on Park Road about a mile north of Tyvola. I haven't been to the new one but I have heard some who prefer the original location.

This is all good news and very encouraging. We did spot Fuel when we tried to have breakfast at John's Country Kitchen a few weekends ago (but we arrived too late and could only get lunch). Had not yet heard of Louisa's and will check it out on my next visit. I already had El Pollo Loco on my must visit list as I'm very fond of Peruvian style marinated grilled chicken - very convenient that Portofino's is there as well.

I'm hoping to start with a roasting business, develop some wholesale accounts to restaurants, cafes and retail outlets and then open a retail cafe of my own. There is definitely a market.

By the way.... if you're looking for really good quality espresso drinks in Charlotte, check out Java Passage in the lobby of The Design Center in Charlotte's South End. They'll be opening a few weeks from now and from what I know, will really be doing things right. They've done their homework, have the right equipment and are sourcing very good beans (from Counter Culture in Raleigh).

By the way....  if you're looking for really good quality espresso drinks in Charlotte, check out Java Passage in the lobby of The Design Center in Charlotte's South End. They'll be opening a few weeks from now and from what I know, will really be doing things right. They've done their homework, have the right equipment and are sourcing very good beans (from Counter Culture in Raleigh).

I'm going to be at The Design Center for a meeting later today. Too bad they are not yet open!

Stop by the lobby and tell "Editorbob" (who goes by just plain old Bob) that I said hello. They are already offering free drip coffee to any and all who pass through the lobby until they are officially open. Both Brent Kulman and Peter Reinhart clearly fit into the exclusive "any and all" category - stop by and let me know how the java is!