• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Havana Brand 8 y/o

PR Rum Time

I saw a bottle of Old Havana Brand 8 y/o at my favorite rumshop this weekend. Upon inspection of the back label, I found it was produced in Panama. I have not been able to find any information about this rum online. Does anybody know the details of the distillation and or character of this rum? I can only assume it is a smooth light bodied Cuban "style" rum. It sells for $15 here in Puerto Rico.

That Old Havana is made in Panama and has a somewhat light character. I'm surprised that it is being sold in Puerto Rico. Peter, like my own database, has the occasional flaw. But the rum is worth trying.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a bottle. It's a dry light rum that could use a little more sweetness. The color is a pale gold and it goes down as smooth as you would expect from a rum aged around 8 years. The finish is far from contemplative. I'm glad I'm trying it but there are better rums out there in the "Cuban Style" category.