• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soda Siphons: The Topic

JAZ

Also, you may find (you will find) that you will get much better results when the water that you charge is cold-the colder the better. Keep the thing in the ice box when you aren't using it. You'll see the difference on the first try.

Unlike with many broad and entertaining anecdotal claims that I am prone to make, this one is based on science and years and years of operating breweries-where, in a way, the bright beer tanks are the largest soda siphons around. You can make thousands and thousands of gallons of carbonated anything in a bright beer vessel.

Brooks is right -- it's because the colder the water is, the more carbon dioxide will stay dissolved in the water. For the same reason, you should always chill soda bottles before opening -- you lose much less CO2 so you get less spurting upon opening and end up with soda that stays fizzy longer.

Brooks is right --

It does happen, you know?

On occasion, it has been known to happen twice in a row.

Sadly, it's just not very often.

Recognition from those that you admire is always good, though. Thanks Janet.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Rebecca's point as regards the price of store-bought fizzwater is a good one but I find that I rarely finish 2L bottles before they go flat so they're no bargain for me. In fact, I don't think the 1L bottles are such a great deal either but anyone who uses lots more fizzwater than I do may well be better served by store-bought vs. soda siphon.

I keep my siphon in the fridge and, as mentioned, the siphon holds its charge for a good long time when kept chilled. I always seem to use it up before it goes flat. That's obviously much cheaper for me than buying 8-10 oz bottles by the six-pack. Also, fwiw, I don't find that my home-charged fizzwater is any less bubbly or tasty than storebought but I'm no connoisseur of bottled water, fizzy or not.

YMMV.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread in the hope that someone can tell me how to use the fantastic old soda siphon that I picked up at a garage sale. The guy told me that "yeah, I think it works", and, sure enough, fizzy water came out, but now what? How do I get the top off? Do I buy chargers? Do I fill it with the bottled seltzer? Was that fizzy water fifty years old and I've been had?

Thanks-

Linda

I'm bumping this thread in the hope that someone can tell me how to use the fantastic old soda siphon that I picked up at a garage sale.  The guy told me that "yeah, I think it works", and, sure enough, fizzy water came out, but now what?  How do I get the top off?  Do I buy chargers?  Do I fill it with the bottled seltzer?  Was that fizzy water fifty years old and I've been had? 

Thanks-

Linda

Is it glass, with wire mesh on the outside? Does it have the charger holder? Can you post a photo?

There is a diagram on this page that shows the varioius parts and how they go together (or come apart).

I usually order chargers from Bestwhip as they have a pretty good price.

24 for 8.95

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It is glass with no wire mesh. It is a pretty blue with the words "Castle Seltzer " on the lid and "Allem beverages Bridgeport Conn" etched into the glass.

Thanks for the diagram - now at least I think I know how to get it apart!