• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for a novice

First off, thanks for participating in this Q & A.

I am a stay-at-home mom, and with the three kids now in school, my goal this winter is Bread. Pizza. Anything yeasted. Or sourdoughed. I love good bread, which is hard to find in this area. I am not concerned about low carb. My kids are appreciating good bread -- something with taste, texture and crust.

And, in anticipation of such, I have three of your books, laying on the nightstand, awaiting perusal.

I have had some OK (ok, so mediocre success) with bread.

When and how will the moment of revelation occur?

Where do I start? How do I get going? What's really important?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

First off, thanks for participating in this Q & A.

I am a stay-at-home mom, and with the three kids now in school, my goal this winter is Bread.  Pizza.  Anything yeasted.  Or sourdoughed.  I love good bread, which is hard to find  in this area.  I am not concerned about low carb.  My kids are appreciating good bread -- something with taste, texture and crust.

And, in anticipation of such, I have three of your books, laying on the nightstand, awaiting perusal.

I have had some OK (ok, so mediocre success) with bread. 

When and how will the moment of revelation occur?

Where do I start?  How do I get going?  What's really important?

Hi Snowangel,

I think the moment is at hand. Since you've been making bread with moderate success but haven't read my books yet and are about to, I'm hoping they will take you the rest of the way there. If there's any chance of reading the introductory chapter of "The Bread Baker's Apprentice," and then baking a bread from it that your family will like, and then writing again later this week (or even after the Q&A ends--my email address for anyone wanting to stay in touch afterwards is preinhart@jwu.edu), I'd love to hear if you've had your awaited epiphany. The focaccia formula, by the way, is equally good in that book and also in "American Pie," so you might want to consider trying that, as kids love it as much as adults. Anyway, let me know.