• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who has the best burritos in DC DelMarVa?

jmc8y

I've never eaten at California Tortilla. However, I had one of the best customer service experiences I've had in a long time with the College Park location today. I ordered 30 burritos to feed my girls dinner because I was feeling sick and needed to come home and rest. They made the order process super-easy and cut me a great price on the food. Then they carried everything over to the house where I work. They included their own hot sauce and gave me a big hotel pan of their salad and a quart of their cilantro-lime ranch dressing gratis. I'm grateful that they simplified my life so much today--I really don't feel good and needed the kind, efficient touch they displayed today.

If I was a burrito eater, I'd grab lunch from them soon just to thank them. Since I don't eat burritos, I thought I'd thank them by posting here instead. It wasn't too expensive, which made me happy given the white-knuckle grip I maintain on my food budget, and if I take sick again they'd be the first ones I'd think of calling.

I'm sad that no one's mentioned Burrito Brothers.  To me, the decline of BB is a local tragedy.  I'm shocked that they stumbled so badly.

That said, I still love their salsa verde, tho.  Their steamed spinach burrito with that hot green sauce...yum.  I used to make the trip down from NYC (during my six year hiatus from the DC region) just to get a fix.  In fact, I'm jonesing for some of that sweet nectar now!

To me, that BB makes their own hot sauces is a HUGE plus.  I think I'm in the minority, but I feel that I can get bottled sauces at a lot of different places.  The argument about trying different sauces is a good one, but I think the bottled sauces take away from the individuality of the places.

i noticed this too, and it's damn sad. isn't there still one in adams morgan though?

and yes, their salsa verde was the bomb.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

i noticed this too, and it's damn sad.  isn't there still one in adams morgan though?

and yes, their salsa verde was the bomb.

Yes- right on 18th St.

I've been fine eating there, but the one time I ate at the Dupont Circle location, I ordered inedible beef tacos. Each mouthful (of which I only endured a couple) was swimming in thick, yucky grease (reminiscent of public school tacos- though those were better).

I've never eaten at California Tortilla. However, I had one of the best customer service experiences I've had in a long time with the College Park location today.

We are "treated" to a cater lunch by them about once or twice a year at work. The Cabin John people are also wonderful to work with. The owners are locals and pay a lot of attention to customer serivce. It's such a pleasant change. A few years ago they left us a bunch of extra bottles of hot sauce that I only recently finished.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 3 weeks later...

If you're in the vicinity and looking for a quick bite (well, there might be lines), here's the lowdown:

***GRAND OPENING CELEBRATION***

YEE-HA!

The new Cleveland Park California Tortilla, located at 3501 Connecticut Avenue, is giving away a Free Burrito and Soda to everyone at our Grand Opening on Monday, November 1st from 11am-2pm and 5pm-8pm!

I'm going to give it a whirl. Can't remember if I've ever had a CT burrito before, but they're supposed to be good, from what I hear.

i went to the opening in courthouse a few months ago and was happy. the line was long, but it moved fast. plus, they brought us chips and queso in the line, which i thought was a nice touch. oh, and for fellow heat freaks, their wall of hot sauces must be experienced

just make sure to get the honey lime burrito, or you could end up with an experience like eunny yang apparently did. you use the word "wan" in just about every review you write eunny.

Edited by jmc8y (log)

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Aiiiiiieeee!

Caeser dressing + wan romaine + "Mexican" rice + bbq sauce slathered chicken + cheese

just make sure to get the honey lime burrito, or you could end up with an experience like eunny yang apparently did.  you use the word "wan" in just about every review you write eunny.

But hey, if a piece of greenery looks wan, droops wan and tastes wan... it is wan!

(I think it's an apt descriptor for uninspired greens... it tells you what you need to know. :smile: )

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Just discovered tonight that this place is totally local. The owners were chatting up the waiters-in-line and handing out coupons and stuff. I'll have to give it a few more tries. The bbq ranch chicken was pretty tasty. I also shared in a blackened chicken caesar, which was OK, but not as good as the BBQ. I also must try the thai and honey-lime before passing final judgment.

And for a free meal, I was completely filled and satisfied. With the burrito and drink, the register rang up like $7.50 before being comped. If you get on their list, they have other sweet offers.

I'm not sure I'd take these people over Baja Fresh or Chipotle. But each has its own advantages.

just make sure to get the honey lime burrito, or you could end up with an experience like eunny yang apparently did.  you use the word "wan" in just about every review you write eunny.

Excuse me?

Sorry. I wasn't aware that my choice of words offended your sensibilities. I apologize for using the same word (precisely) two times on this site, months apart, which you nonetheless obviously noticed. I'll take that kind of attention to detail as a compliment.

Thanks!

Eunny Jang

edit: because i am sweet as pie.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

just make sure to get the honey lime burrito, or you could end up with an experience like eunny jang apparently did.  you use the word "wan" in just about every review you write eunny.

Excuse me?

Sorry. I wasn't aware that my choice of words offended your sensibilities. I apologize for using the same word (precisely) two times on this site, months apart, which you nonetheless obviously noticed. I'll take that kind of attention to detail as a compliment.

Thanks!

Eunny Jang

edit: because i am sweet as pie.

I'm sorry about getting your name wrong, stupid mistake on my part. When I say your name in my head I pronounce the last name like yang. just a little thing i do.

regarding the wan comment, i have 2 explanations:

1. I was JOKING! I had just read your five guys post and i was poking fun at you, IN GOOD NATURE. learn to take a joke! if you can do that as well as you can make pho, then you would truly be the finest of us all.

2. I'm a huge douchebag.

edit: i'd be curious to read your original post, pre-edit. please pm it to me.

Edited by jmc8y (log)