• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's a Four-Star Restaurant?

Ms. Sheraton, what are the criteria for awarding four stars, and have those criteria changed over time? For instance, it was pointed out recently that Peter Luger was once four stars, which is pretty hard to imagine by current standards. That's just an example — there are, of course, others. Another surprising example is Le Veau d'Or, which was once four stars and is now unrated.

Also, to your knowledge, are there actual criteria for the other star levels (one, two, and three)? Or is it just the critic's impressionistic judgment?

A four-star restaurant is what it is to whichever publication and critic are rating it. Some use no stars at all..maybe numbers like Zagat, or maybe nothing. What constitutes four stars for one critic may not to another. I am against standardized standards throughout the field becasue that fosters orthodoxy which I loathe. As soon as you make a rule - like, say, a four star must have tablecloths or a dress code - you come against something marvelous that does not have either and it is worth 4. All I can tell you is that for me, I know a 4 star restaurant when I have eaten in one and I have very few fixed requirements... broadly what those are is fantastically good food, a pleasant and appropriate setting (not necessarily luxe). efficient, thoughtful and polite service, and where it fits a good wine list and beverage service.

Thanks. Great question, great answer. Followup question, if you'd like to take it on: What restaurants in New York today would you consider 4-star restaurants?

Michael aka "Pan"