• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bub Sweatman's BBQ

MLZeats

I ate at Sweatman's a number of years ago and greatly enjoyed the bbq. I remember that it was somewhat difficult to find, given that I am a stranger to the area. I find that I will be in Summerville later this month and I would very much like to make a return visit to Sweatman's. Can anyone give me detailed driving directions from Rte. 26? Thanks.

Depends on which way you're traveling on I-26

If westbound take the exit for Route 27 and go north to Rt 176. Routh 176 west (left) through Holly Hill to Rt. 453. Route 453 North - don't remember how long until you see Sweatman's sign on the right:

Sweatmans-Sign.jpg

If eastbound, take the exit for US Rt. 15. North to US Rt 176. Right to Rt. 453 and then proceed north, as above.

Note, when I was last there Sweatman's was only open Friday and Saturday.

Wish I was riding co-pilot. Some of the best pulled pork bbq around.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thanks Holly. I will actually be driving West, so as I understand your directions I will head to 176North to 453 North. Simple enough so long as the routes are identified. I agree with your assesment of the pork, which is the reason for our return visit.

Depends on which way you're traveling on I-26

If westbound take the exit for Route 27 and go north to Rt 176.  Routh 176 west (left) through Holly Hill to Rt. 453.  Route 453 North - don't remember how long until you see Sweatman's sign on the right:

Sweatmans-Sign.jpg

If eastbound, take the exit for US Rt. 15.  North to US Rt 176.  Right to Rt. 453 and then proceed north, as above.

Note, when I was last there Sweatman's was only open Friday and Saturday.

Wish I was riding co-pilot.  Some of the best pulled pork bbq around.

Mmmmm Sweatman's

I seem to remember that the routes might actually have local street names rather than rte numbers, but I could be wrong. However, it's not a big place, I'm sure anyone can tell you how to get to Sweatman's if you stop in Holly Hill.

Man am I jealous.

• 4 months later...

Do not forget the fried pig skin! I went to Sweatmans for the first time last year, it was the first leg of a fantastic eating weekend I had in Charleston. The pulled pork, seperated by white and dark, was fantastic, moist and full of pork flavor. The ribs and hash over rice were very good as well. What I forever long for is the fried pig skin, large pieces, fried to a deep bronze hue and incredibly crunchy, delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweatman's is perhaps the best example of SC yellow sauce I've had. Remember, however, when they issue your styrofoam plate- you only get one trip through the line. It's fun to watch the regulars use the ribs and fried skins to form an upper tier upon which even more food can be piled.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe