• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Confidential TV Show on FOX

PDC

Saw the commercial last night as well. I just couldn't get over the lead character's name (JACK BOURDAIN!). Maybe AB didn't want his name associated with the show :laugh: ? It's hard to tell what it going to be like based on a 10 sec promo. Who knows? It might turn out to be hilarious.

Well remember Tony's reactions (in this very topic), when news about this show was released:

Hell, I'm drinking Guiness and eatig Steak and Ale pie in Dublin. This all came as news to me. Still processing it.

Its my impression (from that and other things I've heard) that the planning for this show was done completely outside of Bourdain's influence. I don't think it was necessarily a matter of him not wanting to be associated, as much as it was perhaps it being inevitable that it would happen that way once Hollywood became involved. He's a practical sort and I think was busy happily counting his money.

It's actually in FOX's best interest to make the show good though. While FOX has a lot of crappy reality shows, they've actually got a reputation for having some decent sitcoms (The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle, Arrested Development, Bernie Mac's show).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Tessie Santiago as Donna, woof-woof!

And, at least, the lead has some experience,

From Zap2it:

For Cooper, stepping into the kitchen on set was a homecoming of sorts.

"When I was a kid, it was either acting or being a chef. I worked in restaurants my whole life as a cook," he says, adding, "So, when I read the script I just thought, 'I have to do this.'"

Edited by BigboyDan (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Mister Bourdain answers a number of questions about his new show, and renders an opinion on the Fox series Kitchen Confidential:

Let's see, there's a partial dismemberment, implied oral sex and drug use, all in the first half-hour episode -- I'm encouraged. . .

in an exclusive interview by Rachel Perlow in the Daily Gullet. Many other things -- including his answer to the often-asked question, "You have a reputation that you will try anything, food-wise. What's tested that limit?" -- come to light.

Read all about it.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 4 weeks later...

the first episode of the eagerly awaited fox series "kitchen confidential" based on anthony bourdains book to be released on september 19 has leaked, and can be d/l on certain websites as "screener" version (cant disclose the site since its illegal ;-)

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

just saw the pilot....

AND IT SUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its the worst piece of XXXX i ever saw, its a mixture of very bad acting and this weird 80´s british "chef!" comedy series. thank you very much hollywood you fucked up again!!

if you ask me a REAL kitchen confidential movie can only be made by either the coen brothers or quentin tarantino!

Edited by schneich (log)

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

• 4 weeks later...

Kitchen Confidential Cast

Bourdain Comments

With Alice being the last successful (non-reality) TV show based largely on a restaurant - I'm hoping there's paydirt here. Foodies need something to watch! The Restaurant was a joke. Emeril's short-lived sitcom was God awful - and the unfortunate "last work" in the career of Robert Urich.

At least with Bourdain's book as a springboard, the plot lines will be interesting!

Oh, I forgot to report back- I downloaded the pilot a few weeks ago and overall I really enjoyed it. It didn't make me think of Bourdain per se, but it was entertaining and there was some focus on the food and the cooking.

Of course with Bradley Cooper in it, it would have to be totally abysmal for me not to like it. :biggrin: I hope the show is successful and gets better and better.

I caught the premiere this week (in advance of the general public).

Now, initially, I thought it would suck. Big time. I'd seen the commercials, and thought that any diversion from the book would prove just what a god-awful idea it was, and that it was sacrilege embodied in half an hour's worth of film. (Or 24 minutes, sans commercials.)

It wasn't bad.

It pretty much seems to pick up where Bourdain left off with his book -- a chef running a no-nonsense, stop-screwing-around kitchen with a varied crew of top notch kitchen staff.

There were a couple of very funny parts to it, actual laugh-out-loud stuff -- which I didn't expect.

Overall, I have to say it has potential. I'm curious where they'll go with it (hey, foreign investors want to buy us! hey, we're opening a second location in Vegas!); I don't know how long they could carry it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, chiffonade for the links. I especially liked this:

"I'm a consultant to the show, which means they pay me to stay the Hell away from the set, I think," he muses. "And now and again they take me out to dinner and we talk about food styling, technical points, things like that."

...and, of course, precision amputation? excellent! :cool:

I'll be watching.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Damn baseball season!!  There's gonna be a war at the Jividen house tonight.  Season/series premiers vs. the start of the Indians/White Sox series. 

I gotta get a Tivo, immediately.

who watches baseball these days!! :raz:

just kidding!!

more interested in football, but the previews have gotten me thinking

I saw an advance copy of this on DVD. It's pretty good, though nowhere near as dark, sarcastic and wickedly funny as Bourdain.

Jack's character seems intriguing, but I can't get images of "Will", the puppy-dog, do-gooder best friend from Alias that Bradley Cooper played. It just doesn't compute, but if the show lasts (and I hope it will), I may learn to forget. Nicholas Brendan will also forever be "Xander" to me.

The best part about the show, In my humble opinion, is it's earnest attempt to capture the chaos, confusion and pace of the service. Also the first I've seen (since 'Alice', perhaps) to nail the FOH/BOH rivalry and mutual dependence/disdain.

There were a couple of incidents (SPOILER ALERT) that reminded me this wasn't a "big three" network show. The severed finger was a bit out there, and showing it in the entree was just gross, but I guess that's as "edgy" as the producers could get. The show closed with a revelation (SPOILER ALERT) that may lead to a more interesting story as the relationship between Jack & the reviewer is revealed in more detail.

Altogether, it was good fun, but It seemed like a highly sanitized rendition of "Dinner Rush", and I'm not sure if non-industry folk would appreciate it as much. With that in mind, it's a good honest "college try" to show the inner workings of the crazy world of restaurants. However, it's certainly not edgy or unique enough (a la 'Arrested Development') to develop a cult and critical following, and it might not be mainstream enough to keep it on the air.

[edited for a typo]

Edited by lizard (log)

I'm amazed that even Fox could cram so many sterotypes into a single half hour. But what the hell, it's a lot of fun and enough inside restaurant humor to keep me self-satisfied.

It would be neat if down the road they brought in real chefs for kitchen cameo's as mere minons.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

if done right.. which means a bit smarter.. this could be the SCRUBS of kitchen shows... it wasn't bad..

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

It wasn't horrible. I'm just not sure it was Bourdain.

The only part which really seemed to invoke his spirit was the intro voiceover.

I haven't given up on it or anything, I'm just having to see this like it's an alternate universe or something.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Honestly, my only problem with the show was James King's character. Come on. That's just sad. That character is a cringe inducer.

That said... I'll watch it again. It was about what I expected and I'm hoping that it will get into a groove as the season progresses.

I can't say I am a fan of the modern American sitcom genre in general, and knowing the person and the book that the show is loosely based on makes it that much more difficult to watch, because I had very high expectations. I thought that a lot of the humor was very forced, and as Holly points out, there were too many stereotypes.

But yeah, I'll watch it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host