• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Confidential TV Show on FOX

PDC

That looks like John Daly in the cast picture -- he was Sam on Freaks and Geeks (he's grown a little).

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

moderator's note:

I've merged today's thread about the upcoming Fox TV Show "Kitchen Confidential" with one that was started last fall.

As you were :wink: ,

Marsha

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

The fall schedule grid at TheFutonCritic.com confirms that the show will air Mondays at 8:30pm.

FOX has the weirdest strategies--putting a show like this in the early evening. It's after the equally non-family-friendly "Arrested Development". In a way it's a good pairing, but the placement of that pairing is mondo bizarre.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

including the food critic at The New York Times, a jilted ex.

Like that wouldn't IMMEDIATELY set off huge alarms in the food media as far as conflict of interest goes in real life... Amanda Hesser was roasted after her Spice Market review for allegedly having a friendship with JGV and because he had a blurb on her book jacket... Can you imagine if she was an ex girlfriend or an ex-wife?

Bourdain dated Ruth Reichl?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

It would seem that it is from the book, mostly.

And here is our handsome staff. They look better than any krewe I have ever worked with. And they are remarkably clean.

I hope that it's a good show. There hasn't been a good restaurant show on TV since "Frank's Place" went off of the air.

The woman to the right doing the "ass and titty, hand on hip, S pose" was on some reality show. No? :unsure:

If you mean Jaime King, she's coming off the movie "Sin City" recently, so arguably she's actually a hot property.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I like that one of the characters is named Steven Dedaelus. Silence, exile, and cunning.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

That looks like John Daly in the cast picture -- he was Sam on Freaks and Geeks (he's grown a little).

Yes he definitely has. And in the back (on the right) is John Cho from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

i dont see how anyone can do Tony Bourdain as well as Tony Bourdain.

And yes, its doubtless that HBO could pull this show off way better than any other network could.... boooooo

I was watching another Fox show, "House," about a cranky, antisocial -- but brilliant, BRILLIANT! I tell you -- doctor played by Hugh Laurie. Thought, "My, he would make a most excellent Bourdain if they ever produce KC."

Dang.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I was watching another Fox show, "House," about a cranky, antisocial -- but brilliant, BRILLIANT! I tell you -- doctor played by Hugh Laurie.  Thought, "My, he would make a most excellent Bourdain if they ever produce KC."

Dang.

You are SO right! I'm a big House fan and I could totally see him doing Bourdain!

I was watching another Fox show, "House," about a cranky, antisocial -- but brilliant, BRILLIANT! I tell you -- doctor played by Hugh Laurie.  Thought, "My, he would make a most excellent Bourdain if they ever produce KC."

Dang.

You are SO right! I'm a big House fan and I could totally see him doing Bourdain!

Too bad he already has a great gig...NEXT!

• 4 weeks later...
If it is as good as it looks to be, it might be worth watching ... but the photograph?  They look a lot like models ...

Isn't that how Tony describes the crews that have worked for him? :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Gotta love a show with the guy that played Xander on Buffy... no, seriously, you do..

too bad the preview did come off as painfully cheezy..

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Also saw the promo commercial last night.

Looks like Beverley Hills 90210 gets a job.

Not promising.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Saw the commercial last night as well. I just couldn't get over the lead character's name (JACK BOURDAIN!). Maybe AB didn't want his name associated with the show :laugh: ? It's hard to tell what it going to be like based on a 10 sec promo. Who knows? It might turn out to be hilarious.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Saw the commercial last night as well. I just couldn't get over the lead character's name (JACK BOURDAIN!). Maybe AB didn't want his name associated with the show :laugh: ? It's hard to tell what it going to be like based on a 10 sec promo. Who knows? It might turn out to be hilarious.

It might, but not for the right reasons. Let's just hope Bourdain is laughing in his beer and pumps his profits into his own new show.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

From the Ask Ausiello section of TV Guide online:

On the flipside, UPN's Chris Rock-inspired comedy Everyone Hates Chris exceeded my expectations, as did Fox's Kitchen Confidential, starring Alias' Bradley Cooper.

So who knows, maybe Fox didn't totally fuck this one up. I don;t know how big a fan that guy is of Tony though, so I guess we'll see. I think if you go in expecting to see a true representation of AB though, you'll be sorely disappointed. I don't think anyone can pull off AB like AB, nd I really doubt they'll show an accurate portrayal of the seedy underbelly of the restaurant industry.

Saw the commercial for it last night and well - I'll have to wait and see. Sometimes shows getting better a couple of episodes in. Also maybe the more commericals I see the more I'll like it. I figure we'll be seeing it advertised for the remainer of the "Hell's Kitchen" run.

I'm in no was expecting this to represent Bourdain. His book, his idea, his last name on the character and I suspect that's where the connection ends.

As for Ausiello, well not a bad source (especially for Tv Guide) but not my favorite either. Like most tv insider/gossip writers their writing is colored for dramatic effect.

IIRC -- and this may already be posted upthread -- Tony had nothing to do with the production of this show. D. Star bought the rights and Tony was not even consulted. I certainly could be wrong but that's the story I recall hearing last fall when Tony was doing some signings here in Chicago.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com