• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Confidential TV Show on FOX

PDC

Hell, I'm drinking Guiness and eatig Steak and Ale pie in Dublin. This all came as news to me. Still processing it.

You can't go wrong with a pint at Toner's or Mulligan's. I hope you'll give us a trip report.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Huh, I'll bet the sous chef will be a woman. And blonde. Or, the restaurant owner, having suffered a death or divorce, and forced to take over her family's or husband's restaurant, will be blonde and buxom, and forever clashing with the charismatic bad-boy chef. Until they fall into bed.

i'll happily become a blonde

It won't properly fly on Fox.

They have to be able to show nudity, fornication and allow cussing like a sailor.

Perhaps it'll debut on HBO or Showtime, if we're lucky.

Or F/X, which is amazingly permissive with language and sex. I'd much rather see it attempted there, with Nip/Tuck or the Shield's creative team taking a stab at it.

Zap2it.com reveals that it will be a half-hour format.

FilmStew.com adds the fact that Star is directing as well as producing. New Line TV is the third partner aside from 20th Century Fox and Darren Star Productions.

Both the Filmstew article and one from the Advocate.com seem to mention that nothing's been written yet. They are still searching for a writer to adapt this.

Usually this is the stage where good properties are most at risk of going bad. All you'd need is some chucklehead who thinks they know better than Tony to write a bad script.

Please note that even though Star is best know for "Sex and the City", apparently he started out working for Aaron Spelling, on crappy shows like "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Melrose Place".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Frankly I am very concerned about the adaptation aspect into a half hour format on network television, even one as risky as FOX. I think as a feature film or even a miniseries on cable it would be much better. There is just too much sex and adult language/humor I think to put on regular TV.

And the fact that Tony is learning thru back channels and the same media we are about his own book becoming a TV property concerns me greatly. I hope they consult him at least.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Richard, nobody's saying that IS the case... just that we fear it. The fact that Tony hasn't been contacted is... distressing. Sure they've got no obligation to do so, but it usually plants a seed of integrity for the process.

I dunno. Maybe Tony's answering machine has like... 5000 messages on it and his agent has been trying to reach him for weeks. :biggrin:

I also have concerns about the half-hour format. I don't think there are that many half-hour shows on cable, so that makes me think that broadcast is a more likely target. Which means compromises. Also, even an unvarnished uncut product might inherently suck in a half-hour format. I mean... how much character development do half-hour shows have? And aren't they usually comedies? I mean, Kitchen Confidential may HAVE comedy in it, but is it A COMEDY? Will there be a laugh track? A wacky next door neighbor?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Please note that even though Star is best know for "Sex and the City", apparently he started out working for Aaron Spelling, on crappy shows like "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Melrose Place".

Yes. He has I believe a develoment deal with Fox that has so far yielded several rapidly-cancelled trashy prime-time soap type shows. He was also behind one of the many sitcoms that went through the rotating door of the 7:30 pm (CT) slot on NBC Thursdays. Not a promising track record.

I think any TV version of a real kitchen is like any other reality show, a fake piece of shit for posers and wanna be's. Real kitchens are repetitive, obscene, non-glamorous... everything that they can't show on the tube. The edited stuff is what I would be interested in, but what you'll get is some queer spin on life, an artist and his travails.... ugh! I love Bourdains show , was unimpressed with his resaurant, and felt the book was Jerry Springerish.

Frankly I am very concerned about the adaptation aspect into a half hour format on network television, even one as risky as FOX. I think as a feature film or even a miniseries on cable it would be much better. There is just too much sex and adult language/humor I think to put on regular TV.

I agree with you on this. I think HBO or Showtime would be a more appropriate venue.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

ugh. This is not what I wanted to see!

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I dunno...I kinda liked the English (ITV) sitcom, "Chef".....

Chef rocked! I would love to know if you can get it on DVD...

Not so much a Darren Star sort of show, though. I think they had Raymond Blanc on one episode or maybe one of the Roux brothers, or maybe both. The one where he buys the illicit Stilton?

Oh well, I hope Bourdain makes a piss-pot of cash from this no matter what. It's hardly like another crappy TV show is going to ruin our lives.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I dunno. If this is going to be on the same network that brought 'Rescue Me' to the small screen, I'm pretty optimistic that they'll do KC justice.

Bourdain! Quit stuffing that face, get off that bar stool, Mister, and get us a sitrep!

(Geez, I feel like I've just committed sacrilage, or something!) :biggrin:

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

I remember another chef once getting his own show........... Emeril on Fox wasn't it??? :hmmm:

*imagine snippy tone* That was on NBC...

Great book. Got us pegged all proper like. But will it work as a show on any network?Mr. Bourdain is frightfully conventional at heart as far as his culinary standpoint, and Standards&Practices will certainly dispense with anything else that's even remotely interesting.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Chef rocked! I would love to know if you can get it on DVD...

Not so much a Darren Star sort of show, though. I think they had Raymond Blanc on one episode or maybe one of the Roux brothers, or maybe both. The one where he buys the illicit Stilton?

Oh well, I hope Bourdain makes a piss-pot of cash from this no matter what. It's hardly like another crappy TV show is going to ruin our lives.

Chef did rock. Would that I had the juice to go off on ignoramus customers like that! A fella can only dream...

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

• 2 weeks later...

So now, wait a second. Fox has their hands on projects from Bourdain and Gordon Ramsey?

Someone taking a run at Food Network, maybe??? Doing it the same way they did with The Simpsons. Over-the top characters, raunchy/violent/dysfunctional humor... Maybe they are on to something, folks.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

HBO would be the only way that this would not be a complete and total debacle.

I mean, let's be honest here, a show complete with Sex, Drugs Etc. No way would Fox make it half way descent after putting it through their Mickey Mouse born again filters. Darren Starr created "Mis Match" with Alicia Silverstone that was on for how long? A week? This idea, unless moved to another network with Tony’s supervision, is awful.

• 4 months later...

The guy who played "Ed" as Bourdain? Thats laughable. He's doesn't look dangerous enough. He'll always be that ulra-sensitve pussy in Ed to me.

I don't think it will last 6 episodes. Network TV can't possibly make it raunchy enough, even on FOX.

These adaptations make me sick. Isn't Kitchen Confidential funny enough without screwing around with it?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Maybe i read the linked article wrong, but what i thought was going on is that the article was talking about two shows: 1) Half-hour adaptation of KC on Fox, with the main character's name being "Jack Bourdain", and 2) A show starring the guy from "Ed" about a record producer.

In any case, as others have said upthread, i have low hopes for the half-hour format for the KC show.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Maybe "Jack" might have even been Tony's suggestion if it's what he was drinking when he wrote most of the book. Or maybe if Mr. B isn't all that much in love with this, we can joke that his idea got "Jacked" (for a good payday, though).

re: the Half-hour format (actually it's 22 minutes). I've agreed in the past, but it also occurs to me that some really funny shows like "Scrubs" and "Arrested Development" use it too. I suppose the key is that a good 22 minute show has to be pretty direct--no fat included--and the humor has to be more situational than character based (thus the name "sitcom").

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Maybe i read the linked article wrong, but what i thought was going on is that the article was talking about two shows: 1) Half-hour adaptation of KC on Fox, with the main character's name being "Jack Bourdain", and 2) A show starring the guy from "Ed" about a record producer.

In any case, as others have said upthread, i have low hopes for the half-hour format for the KC show.

Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't read this stuff before having my coffee in the morning. The guy who played "Ed" as Bourdain is just too much of a stretch, even for FOX.