• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Confidential TV Show on FOX

PDC

From this morning's Cynthia Turner's Cynopsis:

"Fox has given a script commitment to a project called Kitchen Confidential from Darren Star (Sex and the City), based on the book by Anthony Bourdain, and produced by New Line TV / 20th / Darren Star Prods. The premise is restaurant life from the POV of the chef and kitchen staff, per Hollywood Reporter. "

Darren Star? Maybe we could call ths show "Cobra Heart 90210".

Still a big fan though, Tony!

"Fox has given a script commitment to a project called Kitchen Confidential from Darren Star (Sex and the City),

more specific, graphic details ....

New Line, which has the rights to Bourdain's best seller, will produce 'Kitchen' through New Line TV, along with Darren Star Productions and 20th Century Fox television.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

From Brand Republic...

The creator of HBO hit series 'Sex and the City' is ditching Manolo Blahniks for hip New York restaurants, after being signed by Fox TV to produce 'Kitchen', based on Anthony Bourdain's best-selling book 'Kitchen Confidential'.

SATC creator to produce Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I could stomach exactly one half hour of Sex In The City only once, but I clear my schedule weekly for Malcolm In The Middle. FOX could pull it off if they pay attention to Tony's voice and POV.

Details, Tonyyyy!!! :rolleyes:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Huh, I'll bet the sous chef will be a woman. And blonde. Or, the restaurant owner, having suffered a death or divorce, and forced to take over her family's or husband's restaurant, will be blonde and buxom, and forever clashing with the charismatic bad-boy chef. Until they fall into bed.

Gee, Ronnie, I think this link is starting to look a bit familiar  :wink: (see my post above)...

LOL! I am thoroughly repetitive, if nothing else. :biggrin:

=R=

Congratulations!!!

personally, i am very very happy to see final valid confirmation regarding a project "speculation" that pops up quite frequently.

on the flip side, i must admit if i hear any more correlative comparisons between "Bourdain's back of house" and "Jean-Georges's front of house," i think i am going to beat myself with a frying pan.

Cheers, and looking forward!

I didn't see any mention of Tony's potential participation. If he were a technical advisor or producer that would certainly lend the project some credibility (maybe at the expense of his own credibility and/or sanity), but until they start announcing writers, cast and crew I won't bother speculating about it.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

It won't properly fly on Fox.

They have to be able to show nudity, fornication and allow cussing like a sailor.

Perhaps it'll debut on HBO or Showtime, if we're lucky.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I didn't see any mention of Tony's potential participation. If he were a technical advisor or producer that would certainly lend the project some credibility

well i could be completely wrong, but from what i gather, the rights to the book were bought outright. however, i don't think a lack of the author's "creative input" into the show detracts at all from the project's "credibility."

i believe it is rather standard practice to purchase most writers' work (this includes screenplays, e.g.) and offer nothing to the writer in terms of production. it takes a very strong, dedicated, passionate person to demand those rights (and usually at a sacrifice of monetary compensation).

Edited by abbe (log)

Huh, I'll bet the sous chef will be a woman. And blonde. Or, the restaurant owner, having suffered a death or divorce, and forced to take over her family's or husband's restaurant, will be blonde and buxom, and forever clashing with the charismatic bad-boy chef. Until they fall into bed.

Uhhhhhhhh, are you aware that Tony already had something like that in another of his books? The Bobby Gold Stories. IMO, his best work of fiction (after KC). :raz:

well i could be completely wrong, but from what i gather, the rights to the book were bought outright. however, i don't think a lack of the author's "creative input" into the show detracts at all from the project's "credibility."

Perhaps I should have qualified my remarks by saying that as an eGullet member and solely for me personally Tony's participation would make it more likely that I would find the finished product credible and/or authentic. Better?

i believe it is rather standard practice to purchase most writers' work (this includes screenplays, e.g.) and offer nothing to the writer in terms of production. it takes a very strong, dedicated, passionate person to demand those rights (and usually at a sacrifice of monetary compensation).

I would agree that many writers who option their work would be shut out of a production once the check clears, but I'm currently working on a tv project where the writer is an executive producer, and this isn't the first time.

I'd certainly include Tony in your subset of writers who are strong, dedicated and passionate. My guess (and I hope he'll correct me if I'm wrong) is that he, with his profile and the fact that it is an autobiographical work, could have included a clause about his participation in the project if he chose to.

I'd certainly include Tony in your subset of writers who are strong, dedicated and passionate.

oh i'm sorry. i didn't mean to imply he wasn't these things as a WRITER. i meant to say it takes one very dedicated and passionate about the PROJECT to demand production rights.

i know quite a few writers who gladly sell their work outright, no strings attached, as they have no interest in the "show business" side of the creative process. this is what i meant. (better? :smile:)

oh i'm sorry. i didn't mean to imply he wasn't these things as a WRITER. i meant to say it takes one very dedicated and passionate about the PROJECT to demand production rights.

i know quite a few writers who gladly sell their work outright, no strings attached, as they have no interest in the "show business" side of the creative process. this is what i meant. (better? :smile:)

And I agree :biggrin:

It won't properly fly on Fox.

They have to be able to show nudity, fornication and allow cussing like a sailor.

Perhaps it'll debut on HBO or Showtime, if we're lucky.

I would agree with that. Too much of a chance that they will “cute” it up and make it more of a dumbed down joke than quality show.

Living hard will take its toll...

Hell, I'm drinking Guiness and eatig Steak and Ale pie in Dublin. This all came as news to me. Still processing it.

So...does this mean you're not going to introduce us to Jason Priestly? :wink:

=R=