• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfect French Onion Soup

Could you describe what constitutes a perfect French Onion Soup? Also, where have you enjoyed superior French Onion Soup? Thank you in advance for answering.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Nice brown stock with flavor-hint of white wine, lots of softly cooked golden onions..very.very hot....I prefer it not gratineed..just with a crouton and grated gruyere added at the table...if it is gratineed. bread should not be too soggy or thick nor cheese topping too thick...

Followup question: I have yet to go to "V" Steakhouse, but Bruni panned their "deconstructed" onion soup. Steven Shaw and some other eGulleteers like it. Have you had it, and if so, what did you think of it? Feel free to comment on "deconstructed" dishes in general, if you like.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think what makes a perfect onion soup is caramelizing the onions, the red wine and the Sherry. And the best I've had was made in my own kitchen. I believe the recipe came from the Duck Club at the Lafayette Park Hotel in Lafayette, CA. Here's the recipe I use and everyone I've served it to has said it's the best onion soup they've ever had.

Onion Soup Gratinee

(4 svgs)

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1 1/2 lbs. yellow onions, thinly sliced

6 Tbsp. dry red wine

3 Tbsp. dry Sherry

5 cups beef stock or canned broth

1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce

1 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled

1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled

1/2 tsp white pepper

1 bay leaf

2 shallots or green onions, thinly sliced

2 green onions thinly sliced

1 large garlic clove, minced

8 toasted French bread baguette slices

8 slices Gruyere cheese

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add yellow onions and cook until very soft and caramelized, stirring frequently, about 40 minutes (or more if necessary). Add wine and Sherry and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add stock, Worchestershire, thyme, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Reduce heat and simmer soup 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Melt remaning 1 Tbsp butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, green onions and garlic and cook until golden, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add to soup and stir to combine. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into 4 broilerproof soup crocks. Top each with 2 toasted bread slices and 2 cheese slices. Broil until cheese melts.

Gary Danko while he was at Chateau Souverain made an onion soup that had been strained and the only onions in it were caramelized pearl onions and it was topped with french fried onions. I used to drive an hour to have that.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Followup question: I have yet to go to "V" Steakhouse, but Bruni panned their "deconstructed" onion soup. Steven Shaw and some other eGulleteers like it. Have you had it, and if so, what did you think of it? Feel free to comment on "deconstructed" dishes in general, if you like.

I have not had it...sorry.

About a year ago (can't find the issue, sorry), Cooks Illustrated suggested using red onions and red wine in the beef stock.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.