• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alegria

Whenever I'm in Mexico I hunt down this snack made from popped amaranth seeds and I assume either honey or piloncillo water. I have a recipe in one of my cookbooks but I have a lot of trouble popping the amaranth. I love the taste, texture and the fact that it's loaded with protein.

I have a few pounds of unpopped amaranth seeds and wonder if anyone has made this at home? Any techniques?

I'm going to try a wok today and see how that goes.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Whenever I'm in Mexico I hunt down this snack made from popped amaranth seeds and I assume either honey or piloncillo water. I have a recipe in one of my cookbooks but I have a lot of trouble popping the amaranth. I love the taste, texture and the fact that it's loaded with protein.

I have a few pounds of unpopped amaranth seeds and wonder if anyone has made this at home? Any techniques?

I'm going to try a wok today and see how that goes.

What are you popping it in? Traditionally people use the clay comales, which heat eveny, and without having such a searing surface as metal. Also, they use the little escobetillas to sweep the amaranth around the comal so it doesn't crisp up too much or burn. Heat shouldn't be too high, especially in/on a metal pan or grill. Keep the tiny seeds in near constant motion, and try to use only a single layer's worth when you start popping. Amaranth will not pop as large as popcorn - relative to its size, of course.

The traditional syrup was aguamiel cooked way, way down. Now the traditionalists and rural people use piloncillo. The uptowners, cane sugar.

Try it with a bit of toasted, powdered chipotle in it ... puts a whole new level of alegre in the alegrias.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

What are you popping it in?  Traditionally people use the clay comales, which heat eveny, and without having such a searing surface as metal.  Also, they use the little escobetillas to sweep the amaranth around the comal so it doesn't crisp up too much or burn.  Heat shouldn't be too high, especially in/on a metal pan or grill.  Keep the tiny seeds in near constant motion, and try to use only a single layer's worth when you start popping.  Amaranth will not pop as large as popcorn - relative to its size, of course.

First of, I'm thrilled to learn the plural of comal! Thanks- I had no idea!

I was using my steel comal and an escobetilla, assuming that's one of those cute mini brooms. But I was doing it with way too high a heat and with way too many seeds. Without much trouble I have several cups of popped seeds! And a huge mess. They pop all over the place, especially when I started out with too many seeds.

The traditional syrup was aguamiel cooked way, way down.  Now the traditionalists and rural people use piloncillo.  The uptowners, cane sugar.

I know it's simple but do you have a recipe? Is it just honey and water reduced? I'd love to know what you think is easy and what you think is best- perhaps the same thing.

Try it with a bit of toasted, powdered chipotle in it ... puts a whole new level of alegre in the alegrias.

As soon as I master the basics.....

Thanks for this. I have a 6 year old FUSSY eater who loves alegria and I think if I can get him to help me make it, it would be a kick. It was our daily treat when we were vacationing in Mexico. And a candy loaded with protein, minimal sweetener and from a native plant that I grow.... well, that's about all one can ask for!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Rancho Gordo, Your amaranth sounds great. and thanks Theabroma for all those hints. I've never seen amarnth being popped so it was an eyeopener.

As Theabroma will tell you, aguamiel is not honey but the liquid collected from maguey. (Miel is used in spanish for all sorts of syrup, miel de abeja being just one).

The maguey sap can be boiled down to a syrup or allowed to ferment (pulque). It has a very distinct flavor, not to everyone's taste. And goodness knows where you would find it in California. It's not readily available in most parts of Mexico unless you know someone in a village. Perhaps something to put on the list for your next visit to Mexico!

Your six year old would probably be very happy with a piloncillo syrup,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Rancho Gordo - sorry, I had some more info entered for you last night, and the computer crashed (!) while I was trying to send it.

Basically, aguamiel is the clear liquid which collects in the bowl made in the heart of a maguey plant when the top leaves are removed. It is siphoned off and fermented to make pulque. But it is sweet, and reduced by boiling, will make a syrup.

The recipe I have managed for excavate (so far) is from Elogio del Dulce (Elegy to Sweets, or Candies) by Carlos Zolla. It is not basically a recipe book, but it includes the following guidelines:

250 grams of amaranth seeds, soaked for about 6 hours, and then allowed to dry

(I am presuming that this treatment both removes extraneous matter, and leaches out any bitter or off flavors. It may also help whiten them, and add some moisture to make them really pop. Just a guess)

Toast them on the comal, until they "thunder" (I think snap, crackle, and pop will do), and take on a whitish color (must be a sign, like, but less obvious than, popcorn, that the seeds have popped.

Bring 250 grams of honey to a boil, and add the toasted seeds, stirring gently to ensure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.

You can also at this point add a bit of pure anis flavor and some color, if you want. It is common to see alegrias for sale on the street which have toasted pumpkinseeds and raisins mixed in (Aztec trail mix?).

Before the syrup begins to cool, pour the mixture into oiled pans (cake, brownie, loaf, etc) and gently press to fit pan. Allow to cool to the touch, and then cut into serving pieces with a warm knife.

This is quoted in Elogio as coming from Presencia de la comida prehispanica, texto y recoleccion by Teresa Castello Yturbide, 1986.

To substitute piloncillo syrup for honey: probably 1 cone of piloncillo, crushed or hammered, in a heavy saucepan with 2.5 cups of water. Boil until it reaches about 235F or so on the thermometer. Pour off about 9 fluid ounces for the 250 grams of seeds.

I'll see what else I can find that give clearer times and proportions.

Theabroma

Y'all will think I'm crazy, but I've made "amaranth treats"....same recipe as rice crispy treats, but with amaranth! I pop it in my iron skillet. a little at a time, then proceed with the butter and marshmallow.

Fabulous!!

Sounds better than rice to me! Smart idea!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

Y'all will think I'm crazy, but I've made "amaranth treats"....same recipe as rice crispy treats, but with amaranth! I pop it in my iron skillet. a little at a time, then proceed with the butter and marshmallow.

Fabulous!!

Makes all the sense in the world ... and beats the hell out of soaking and drying it. Hey, high protein crispy marshmallow treats, just in time for Dia de los Muertos!

Slick.

Theabroma

• 4 weeks later...
As Theabroma will tell you, aguamiel is not honey but the liquid collected from maguey.      (Miel is used in spanish for all sorts of syrup, miel de abeja being just one). 

The maguey sap can be boiled down to a syrup or allowed to ferment (pulque).  It has a very distinct flavor, not to everyone's taste.  And goodness knows where you would find it in California.  It's not readily available in most parts of Mexico unless you know someone in a village.  Perhaps something to put on the list for your next visit to Mexico!

Well, I got some! Don't ask- don't tell- but let's just say you may find a Rancho Gordo brand of Miel de Maguey on my website within about 6 months. To me it tastes like a cross between honey and molasses. I like it! Apparently it's also very healthy.

Should I dilute it first for the allegria?

Twitter @RanchoGordo

Hi Rancho Gordo,

Great about the aguamiel. Do you know the website www.bioplaneta.org? It has several groups of Mexican women selling such things. In fact if you can't get enough, I know various villages around here where it's regularly made for home consumption and where I bet, if the price was right, they'd be delighted to make it for the market.

These women's groups are springing up all over. One group works about ten miles from here (they're not on the web site). They make terrific nopal pickles, jams from local fruits, jaleas (natural jels), cordials etc., all simply but nicely packaged. it's very nice to see this grass roots operation making a go of it. People come from quite a distance to buy. And otherwise there is no employment in this village.

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Great link- thanks!

Some clever person should import chocolate from Oaxaca. Ibarra and Abuelita are fine but the stuff I drank in Oaxaca was other-worldly!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

• 1 year later...
Great link- thanks!

Some clever person should import chocolate from Oaxaca. Ibarra and Abuelita are fine but the stuff I drank in Oaxaca was other-worldly!

Melissaguerra.com sells Mayordomo chocolate, reportedly one of the best from Oaxaca and not easy to obtain in Mexico outside of Oaxaca.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...