• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2001 Marchesi Pancrazi Pinot Nero

Craig Camp

The fine pinot noir vineyards of Marchesi Pancrazi are a lucky mistake. For years they produced an ordinary light red wine thought to be sangiovese; then an enologist visiting owner Vittorio Pancrazi discovered the vineyards were in fact planted with pinot noir vines.

click here for the 2001 Marchesi Pancrazi Pinot Nero and other new Pancrazi releases.

I know I will shock some amateurs, but Pancrazi pinot nero is for me the best italian pinot noir. It has a strong personnality, it is not a bad copy of Burgundy, and it has together finesse and structure.

A real great wine : it came always in nice ranking in Grand Jury blind tastings.

BTW : if by chance you find one day their olive oil, jump on it : just excellent too.

I could not agree more. Their pinot noir shows true varietal character while being distinctly Tuscan at the same time. I too applaud them for going for their own style instead.

...and if you like the Pancrazi be sure to try the Poderi Colla from Piemonte.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)