• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spezie vs. Al Tiramisu

JennyUptown

Al Tiramisu...they've been there longer. Besides, if you don't like Tiramisu, you can move next door to Johnny's or Paradiso, or Mimi (if you carry earplugs.) If Spezie sucks...whatchugonnado? Haul bottom to Smith & Wolensky?

Resident Twizzlebum

Al Tiramisu...they've been there longer. Besides, if you don't like Tiramisu, you can move next door to Johnny's or Paradiso, or Mimi (if you carry earplugs.) If Spezie sucks...whatchugonnado? Haul bottom to Smith & Wolensky?

No no no. You can move next door to PESCE. Fish Fish Fish!! :shock:

Mark

No no no. You can move next door to PESCE. Fish Fish Fish!! :shock:

Fine. No, fine. Johnny's has all kinds of fish :cool:

I haven't eaten at Pesce since they had a new chef...wonder what it's like now. I think the old sous is at the helm right now.

Resident Twizzlebum

I've only eaten at Spezie twice, just after they opened. It was a pretty room with servicable pastas and a bunch of skeezy top-three-buttons-undone hairy-chested oily-looking guys sitting at the bar, leering at passerby on L street. I really really wanted to love it, since I've been going to Il Pizzico forever, but there was nothing whatsoever about it that left any kind of impression on me, other than the sketchy gold-fill-necklace-wearing dudes.

• 2 weeks later...

After having dinner at Al Tiramisu this past weekend, it's pretty clear why it's not the darling of eGullet. The dining room is kind of outdated. The wine list is average, not Wine Spectator material. And - horrors! - there's no fois gras anywhere on the menu.

But do you know what? My family group and I had such a pleasant meal there on Saturday that my parents are still talking about it. Faux Veg joined us as PLM is out of town for work for the foreseeable future (blah, whatever - who wants to be my birthday boyfriend in his absence?).

I was the only wine drinker in the bunch that night - I had two glasses of a Chianti Classico whose name has been wiped out by my now-advancing age. :blink: The others stuck with cocktails.

The food was very enjoyable. Not groundbreaking, but tasty and the portions were just right. For starters, Faux Veg and I shared a pasta, the agnolotti ripieni di ricotta e spinaci, burro e salvia ($15.90). So good. These were a big hit. The shared portion came to four good sized dumplings each. My mother had asparagus in a viniagrette dressing ($8.50) - it must have been great, because she didn't offer to share. Dad had pasta e fagioli alla toscana ($9.90 - but worth it); unlike Mom, he was generous. I took advantage except when he offered me the last delicious spoonful. That would be too greedy. But damn, that was good, thick, hearty fall soup.

I ordered rack of lamb from the specials menu (which I hear are more expensive than the rest of the menu; I didn't see the bill so I don't know the damage). Lots of fresh rosemary flavor, tender meat cooked to medium, as requested. Served with roasted potatoes and fresh veggies. Again, very good.

Faux Veg ordered a dish that I thought would be boring - grilled sliced chicken with rosemary sauce ($18.90) - but it ended up being one of the tastier birds I've eaten.

Mom had filet mignon (yes, I know) with aleatico wine reduction ($18.90). Worse, she ordered it well-done. She didn't offer a taste which didn't disappoint me one bit. Dad stayed on the healthy tip and ordered a simply prepared red snapper, grilled with lemon and olive oil. Another special thus I can't quote a price, but the plate was clean at the end - he loved it.

We sampled four desserts. The favorite was the chocolate salami with vanilla ice cream. The description isn't online so I'm working from memory here - chocolate ganache formed around chunks of ladyfingers and hazelnut and sliced. Rich and delicious, it's the dessert I would order upon return. My dessert was ok, a chocolate creme caramel. Not a favorite, but ok. Dad had mango and blood orange sorbet (poor guy with me, the food police around) which he devoured. Faux Veg indulged in the poached pear in red wine - I tasted and it proved to be a worthy selection.

My parents are kind of picky and easily scared by "strange" menus so this recap might be wasted on a lot of you, my more adventurous compadres, but Al Tiramisu really was pretty perfect for this celebratory evening.