• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern-style Pecan Pie

Winnfield

Home of Huey P. and Earl Long. OK Allen. Three governors of Louisiana.

It is also the home of the The Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame, whose slogan is "You indict 'em, We induct 'em". A pretty interesting small town stop if you are ever driving between Alexandria and Shreveport and are looking for a stop to kill a little time. Winnfield is also the home of the Uncle Earl's Hog Dog Trials, an event that for most is better read about than attended (although the tshirts that are sold at this event are worth the price of admission-catahoula curr wear is hard to come by at any price  :wink: ).

The reference to "red karo" is interesting. I assume that they are talking about "dark syrup", but perhaps there was another grade in the 20's. I have a copy of the 1st Baptist Church Cookbook from Bastrop, Louisiana (another mill town to the north and east of Winnfield) that has a similar recipe. It also has a poundcake recipe that is, literally, divided into pounds of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. I have been making it for years and also using it as a base for my Peach Pound Cake Recipe which is in Recipe Gullet.

Vote For Earl. I ain't Crazy

Actual slogan for Earl Long's 1960 Campaign for Governor...

Louisiana, it's a bizarre place.

Potential slogan for the Louisiana Office of Tourism

I think red karo is referring to the label. I was curious and followed the history of Karo link listed above. At the page, there were several pictures of the old packaging amoung them, a red label can.

With regard to the pound cake, I have a similiar recipe with a pound of each sugar, butter and flour plus 10 eggs. If I had to guess ten eggs probably equals a pound. It is a fabulous pound cake.

I find Louisiana interesting and bizarre. Being Thanksgiving, I kind of miss it today. :sad:

Winnfield

The reference to "red karo" is interesting. I assume that they are talking about "dark syrup", but perhaps there was another grade in the 20's. I have a copy of the 1st Baptist Church Cookbook from Bastrop, Louisiana (another mill town to the north and east of Winnfield) that has a similar recipe. It also has a poundcake recipe that is, literally, divided into pounds of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. I have been making it for years and also using it as a base for my Peach Pound Cake Recipe which is in Recipe Gullet.

Vote For Earl. I ain't Crazy

Actual slogan for Earl Long's 1960 Campaign for Governor...

Louisiana, it's a bizarre place.

Potential slogan for the Louisiana Office of Tourism

I think red karo is referring to the label. I was curious and followed the history of Karo link listed above. At the page, there were several pictures of the old packaging amoung them, a red label can.

With regard to the pound cake, I have a similiar recipe with a pound of each sugar, butter and flour plus 10 eggs. If I had to guess ten eggs probably equals a pound. It is a fabulous pound cake.

I find Louisiana interesting and bizarre. Being Thanksgiving, I kind of miss it today. :sad:

The reference to "Red Karo" does indeed refer to the label. Just as people still refer to " Brer Rabbit Green " or "Brer Rabbit Blue", referring to the stronger darker molasses instead of the mild gold label which was found in all stores. Only a few stores would carry all three types.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

because, according to an article fr/ years ago in the old Atlanta Gazette, "To a Southerner the pecan is not a nut. It is a gift from God."

I wish I could find the article but the headline pretty much says it all.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--the best cat ever.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I read that Karo piece and personally, I have never heard of Karo pie. I think they were taking a little literary freedom and some wishful thinking.

My mother did always use the karo recipe though. and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. And she used the light karo. I perfer to use Lyle and Tate's Golden syrup. I like the flavor better, although I think I will try andiesenji's recipe for fun.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...
OK... Further discussion puts some doubt on the use of Karo syrup in Aunt Minnie's recipe. We are now suspecting that she used Imperial (Sugarland, TX) light brown cane sugar. Research continues.

She did. I'm just saying, Feef, b/c we have a shared nostalgia of holidays in Tejas.

Anyhoo, the real test of pecan pie in the South is as a general bellwether of the event in context. For example, if you successfully survived the interminable Thanksgiving dinner where a loved one weeped silently into their side dishes over a lost paramour, then you, by god, deserved a big piece of p. pie. If on the other hand, much celebration was made of the Christmas season and everyone attending, then you, by god, needed a big piece of p. pie to soften the blow of a perhaps corky Korbel vintage. Pecan pie, in short, is the glue that holds southern gothic together until restraining orders and repos rent us asunder.

Pecan pie, in short, is the glue that holds southern gothic together until restraining orders and repos rent us asunder.

Excellent. Really excellent.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...