• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Merchant House 4 Sale!

I'm sure readers of Restaurant Magazine are well aware of the fact that Shaun Hill has put Merchant House oh the market and is looking at selling for around £750,000.

Was just wondering if any Egulleters have any ideas/suggestions who could possibly take over from the legend and what could they possibly do? Whats your view Shaun?!

Just glad that i've got my booked reservation for a meal there coming up soon!

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

i think it's unlikely any known chef would want to step into shaun's 'big' shoes.

there was a similar problem with with winteringham fields, no one was brave enough to risk their reputation and the chance of losing germain schwab's 2 stars.

i suspect it will be the same issue here, that and the fact that £3/4m is a lot to find!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

I'll be closing Merchant House sometime next Spring, probably around early March, regardless of whether it sells as a restaurant or house or even whether it sells at all. It's been a joy - mostly - for the past ten years but when the feeling comes that it's time to change then that's what you should do.

I have no real idea what happens next or where and don't intend to start looking until January. The work here needs me to have my mind fully engaged on the immediate practicalities of cooking the food.

My view is that the estate agents are optimistic in the asking price as the house is worth only £500,000 as a residence but you know how it is, I'm willing to take it if someone is willing to offer it.

I have been surprised that no other chefs have tried their luck in Ludlow over the last few years. The three major restaurants are all full months ahead and there is room for another. This will still be the case after I shut up shop. Hibiscus, for instance, is a world class operation and my view is that it gets less attention than it deserves because Claude is French and his food fairly french in style so perhaps less newsworthy as part of a rural British restaurant revival. Hopefully this will improve after I have departed the scene.

Hopefully I will be at the stoves somewhere by the summer. It's that or the Big Issue concession for Ludlow.

Best wishes

Shaun -

we wish you best of luck. I've hopping mad I've never managed to make it up there. Damnit, I don't care if you need a zimmer frame - don't retire until I try your food! Please! :laugh:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Moby - in all seriousness I suggest you book now for whatever tables remain before they shut the doors. The Merchant House is a special restaurant and its highly unlikely that there will ever be anything quite like it in the UK again.

The vast majority of gifted chefs in this country are desperately trying to figure out ways of not cooking for a living, or are promoted to positions where cooking is a long way down the list of their priorities. Shaun is singular in his determination to keep firmly at stove-side and that personal touch comes through loud and clear.

If I don't manage to get back before next spring, I can at least reflect on the numerous meals I enjoyed at The Merchant House over the last 8 years or so that I have been going there. But if I can get a seat at one of the final suppers, then so much the better.

• 4 weeks later...

Going for meal here this evening, and hibiscus tommorrow for lunch! Sorry just had to get that off my chest!

Hope everyone is well....

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Going for meal here this evening, and hibiscus tommorrow for lunch! Sorry just had to get that off my chest!

Hope everyone is well....

there is a high probability of you meeting bapi and rosie on that basis. Don't think they've got into the merchant house, but have practically taken up residence at hibiscus for the rest of the week!

if he's not there he'll be in church.

(the pub at the top of the hill :biggrin: )

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

• 3 weeks later...