• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple Drive

Foodie-Girl

Hello from eG Pacific Northwest :biggrin:

We'll be in CA next week visiting family/friends and one dinner has been planned at Maple Drive. If it's awful please don't tell me as our friends made the arrangements and really like it.

So...if there is a thread on Maple Drive or anyone as thoughts as what's good/not good to order I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks !

I haven't yet been myself, but I think your friends probably have good taste. Or at least they're not alone - there are some other encouraging signs that it will be a good experience. First, the chef was named one of Food & Wine magazine's Best New Chefs 2004. Also, here's a positive review from one of LA's most prominent restaurant critics. I've read similarly positive notes from other well travelled and discriminating customers.

I hope you have a great meal and let us know what you thought of your evening.

edit to add: I'm going to make plans to go really soon.

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

I haven't yet been myself, but I think your friends probably have good taste.  Or at least they're not alone - there are some other encouraging signs that it will be a good experience.  First, the chef was named one of Food & Wine magazine's Best New Chefs 2004.  Also, here's a positive review from one of LA's most prominent restaurant critics.  I've read similarly positive notes from other well travelled and discriminating customers.

I hope you have a great meal and let us know what you thought of your evening.

edit to add:  I'm going to make plans to go really soon.

Thanks FoodZealot!

Yes, my friends are 'foodies' and usually take us to great L.A. restaurants. Not having been to this one I thought I'd see what others are ordering.

We ate at Maple Drive roughly 6 months ago. Our visit was really great. The service in particular was professional and much better than I had anticipated. I imagined a hot-shot chef with recent fame in a restaurant set in the heart of Beverly Hills would spell disaster for service. I expected snooty employees, but it was quite the opposite actually. The hostess was really accomodating in getting us a choice table.

We opted for a tasting menu over six courses (if I remember correctly). There was definitely some Japanese influence, with a sashimi course and a skirt steak with Asian spices. The dining room is washed in earthy tones and is quite comfortable. The best seats in the house (somewhat secluded booths) were taken up by uber-beautiful LA people, which I found both amusing and disturbing at the same time. Make no mistake, Maple Drive is definitely in the thick of the Hollywood elite scene. The Maybach dealership on the corner a block or two away sets the tone.

We were there for our anniversary, which meant our dessert of chocolate (four different ways) was brought out on a large plate with a hand-piped congratulations note from the chef.

My memory might be fuzzy since we ate at several LA restaurants that week, but that should be a pretty complete review. I give Maple Drive an A, but having also eaten at Suzanne Goin's restaurant the same weekend, I think it edged out Maple Drive on coolness and respect for ingredients and simple technique. You might say Lucques and A.O.C. are more truly "foodie".

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

the chef worked with lee hefter at spago before opening his own place. he is very interested in japanese fusion cuisine. i am much more interested in traditional alsatian cuisine, which is much harder to find around here. if you are amused by fusion, those dishes are certainly worth a try. for myself, i'm much more likely to order tarte flambee and choucroute.

Our dinner at Maple Drive got off to a bad start (service-wise) and we almost got up and left...but the server explained EVERYONE SHOWED UP AT 7:30 PM and after things got going we were well-taken care of...

I wish I could remember what everyone ate...I had a Beet Salad and Loup De Mer...FANTASTIC.

One friend had the Hunan Steak which melted in your mouth.

Our friends have a huge cellar so they brought the wine and we didn't order dessert...so I can't comment on either.

Fortunately we sat in a booth FAR away from the "combo" playing because otherwise we couldn't have had any sort of conversation...and this was on a Thursday night.

Overall it was a very nice meal...not terribly expensive by L.A. standards.

P.S. Had lunch at ORSO the same day...what a great patio for lunching with the L.A. movers and shakers...(I which I am not one, but my friend is...LOL )

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)