• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butchers and Fishmongers in Austin

munchcake

I'm new in town and although I love Central Market, I'd like to find some independent food shops. Are there any good butchers, fishmongers, or green grocers in town?

Also, do any egulleters know where I might be able to find hanger steak without having to special order it? I called around town today to find some and most places told me it would take a week or so to get in. One butcher told me he'd never heard of it and I got a five minute speech about how chefs make up fancy names for cuts that don't exist.

Thanks for your help.

Lauren

I'm new in town and although I love Central Market, I'd like to find some independent food shops.  Are there any good butchers, fishmongers, or green grocers in town? 

Also, do any egulleters know where I might be able to find hanger steak without having to special order it?  I called around town today to find some and most places told me it would take a week or so to get in.  One butcher told me he'd never heard of it and I got a five minute speech about how chefs make up fancy names for cuts that don't exist.

Thanks for your help.

Lauren

A few other butcher options:

The Chronicle list

The Meat Shop on Payton Gin has really good stuff, but it is not cheap. Maybe the only place in town for Wagyu beef.

I noticed a vendor at the Westlake Farmers market selling "Kobe" beef for a very good price last week. I will buy some if he is still there when I get back in Austin. If you have not gone already, check out the Saturday Farmers Markets in Westlake and downtown. (Am I the only geek that goes to both?)

Regarding Fish mongers, I have yet to find a place that beats Central Market.

I do not like Quality Seafood on Airport Blvd. Never been impressed the with freshness or selection.

Hope this helps some

We love them... The Wagyu's terrific, and we've found that you can actually get great buys sometimes, particularly if you ask them if they've got anything interesting that's already cut...

The Chronicle list

The Meat Shop on Payton Gin has really good stuff, but it is not cheap.  Maybe the only place in town for Wagyu beef.

An odd alien wench

One butcher told me he'd never heard of it and I got a five minute speech about how chefs make up fancy names for cuts that don't exist.

It's a good thing you didn't call it onglet, you really would've gotten a lecture. Where did this butcher work? I'll be sure to boycott the establishment.

BTW, The Meat Shop is awesome. I buy all my steaks there.

The Chronicle list

The Meat Shop on Payton Gin has really good stuff, but it is not cheap.  Maybe the only place in town for Wagyu beef.

I noticed a vendor at the Westlake Farmers market selling "Kobe" beef for a very good price last week.  I will buy some if he is still there when I get back in Austin. If you have not gone already, check out the Saturday Farmers Markets in Westlake and downtown. (Am I the only geek that goes to both?) 

Regarding Fish mongers, I have yet to find a place that beats Central Market. 

I do not like Quality Seafood on Airport Blvd.  Never been impressed the with freshness or selection. 

Hope this helps some

You might also try Henry's Butcher Block in Round Rock. He is off 79 east of I 35. He used to work at the Meat Place on Payton Gin. His place is spotless and his meat is very good. Hey also carries Wagyu beef.

Matilda254

Welcome to Austin!

I have to concur that the Meat Shop is about the best butcher in town. Please tell me what moron butcher told you that about hanger steak, so I too can stay very far away. Central Market will do hangar steak, and it should not take a week, talk to the dept. manager. When I wanted it, they said three days tops and had it when I asked it to be ready.

No one can beat Central Market for fish or produce, other than taking a chance at the Westlake Farmer's market.

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

I have not been yet, but didn't Westlake move to Tony Burger stadium recently?

"I noticed a vendor at the Westlake Farmers market selling "Kobe" beef for a very good price last week. I will buy some if he is still there when I get back in Austin. If you have not gone already, check out the Saturday Farmers Markets in Westlake and downtown. (Am I the only geek that goes to both?) "

Frank in Austin

Westlake Farmers market did move from Westlake high school to the parking lot at Burger Stadium. The name has stayed the same.

Westlake Farmers Market

They have a lot more space and plenty of parking at the new location. I do miss the intimacy of the old location but will not miss the fight for parking.

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'll definitely have to check out the Meat Shop and the farmer's market. We've been living here almost two months and have somehow managed to be out of the city every Saturday so far. Hopefully this weekend will be different...

As for the butcher who was clueless about hangar, he was almost offended by onglet. I didn't make a note of the place, because I just figured I'd never think about going there, but it was definitely not the Meat Shop, Cooper's, Henry's or Central Market. I'll be happy to call around again to find out.

I guess it's back to CM for fish. I just wish they had a wider selection of while fish. Do you all find the N. Lamar location better than Westgate?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Lauren

I prefer N. Lamar, though right now with the remodel things are not what they should be. N. Lamar is VERY good about ordering whole fish or special fish whenever you want. I have gotten Loup de Mer with only 3 days advance notice, and fresh Belon oysters from them.

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

If you're going grass-fed, don't forget the beef at People's Pharmacy.  Frankly, we can't afford steak without a side of antibiotics and hormones, but I've been curious.

People's Pharmacy sells beef??? This has me intrigued enough to stop by sometime and see what else I've been missing by not shopping there (not that I avoided the place in the past, it was just never on the "I gotta see this place" list before).