• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clement 15yo

Jason Perlow

On a recent trip to St. Maarten, my parents brought me back 2 bottles

of Clement 15-year old from a duty free shop. I have no idea what they paid for them.

I heard that the Clement factory on Martinique has closed down. Should I be careful consuming these?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...

not sure!

but if you had 2 bottles I would enjoy atleast one of them. Maybe look and hold the other for about 5 or so yrs. I have a bottle or two I'm in no hurry to open but I still plan on drinking them someday. Save it for a special occasion......yes I think Clement 15yr should be saved for the special occasions but enjoy one of them!! Save the other for when I visit... :raz:

when you ask about consuming these carefully do you mean not spilling?? I always tell my kids use 2 hands when in the livingroom  !! :smile:  :biggrin:  :raz:

cj

JP.... I had hoped that  Ed Hamilton would have picked up on this topic , so I will give you some information that  I know.   The night that I was composing and researching the topic of J.Bally and St  Etienne Distilleries of Martinique, I reached over to my rums and selected a Clement  fifteen year old to sip on.  

On reading Ed's book I discovered that J.bally  & St Etienne  & Clement are get their distilled alcohol from the Simon Sugar Refinery.  The Alcohol is shipped to the various existing rum distilleries for aging etc & bottling and marketing.   These are all old traditional plants that have all  closed down, as Sinon has a very efficient continious still.  But its in the aging and management of these rums thats the' jewel in the crown'.

As far as Clement going out of business . I very much doubt it they have a very long history and have no intention of folding. Their Distillery ond plantation house are as original untouched and are now museums The aging is stillcarried out in thta part of the operation..    

What I would like to know is when did the Clement distillery close and threfore the use of the pot still ?  And does the fifteenyear old still have some of the old stock blended into it.

Got to go  If I think of anything else I will let you Know.

John Reekie.