• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airport Hotel BCN ?

dfunghi

The Barcelona airport is one of the most accessbile from the center of the city. The taxi ride is short in the wee hours of the morning and there's a train, actually a rapid transit commuter line that runs from the placa de Catalunya to the airport. I don't know how early it runs and I'd understand staying at the airport itself, but once you move any distance you might just as well be in Barcelona, in my opinion. I mention that the railine is a commuter line only because it may be inconvenient if you have lots of luggage, but the there's not likely to be much traffic heading out from the city at seven in the morning.

Of course you could stay at the airport and take the taxi out to the hotel after dinner rather than taking it in the morning.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux, Pedro,

We fly into BCN from Santiago on Sunday afternoon and leave BCN Monday AM so our thinking was it would be easier to stay near airport and bus or taxi into city for fun and not have to schlep all our bags ( including all the things we bought in the last 3 weeks of being in Spain) back and forth. Our Sunday night choices will be limited I'm sure so we will find out whats open when we are there during first leg of trip.

We are checking out the Trypp and also Minotel Ciutat del Prat near BCN.

Thanks,

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Even if you stay at the Trypp you will have to take a taxi to get there (Looking at the map on their website, it doesn't seem to be a walkable distance) and back to the airport Monday morning. Why not just take the same taxi into the city (a 15/20 minute ride)?

Silly.

Bux, Pedro,

We fly into BCN from Santiago on Sunday afternoon and leave BCN Monday AM so our thinking was it would be easier to stay near airport and bus or taxi into city for fun and not have to schlep all our bags ( including all the things we bought in the last 3 weeks of being in Spain) back and forth.  Our Sunday night choices will be limited I'm sure so we will find out whats open when we are there during first leg of trip.

Thanks,

David

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Even if you stay at the Trypp you will have to take a taxi to get there (Looking at the map on their website, it doesn't seem to be a walkable distance) and back to the airport Monday morning. Why not just take the same taxi into the city (a 15/20 minute ride)?

My assumption was that the Tryp was right at the airport (although I don't recall a hotel right at the airport) or that it would surely provide shuttle service to and from the airport. This message on their web site doesn't offer that information or hope: "The hotel is located right next to the International Airport of Barcelona (BCN) and about 10 km distance from the city center. Easily accessible following the signs from the airport."

Up until the moment I realized you might have to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel as well as from the hotel to town and back, this

Bux, Pedro,

We fly into BCN from Santiago on Sunday afternoon and leave BCN Monday AM so our thinking was it would be easier to stay near airport and bus or taxi into city for fun and not have to schlep all our bags ( including all the things we bought in the last 3 weeks of being in Spain) back and forth.  Our Sunday night choices will be limited I'm sure so we will find out whats open when we are there during first leg of trip.

made a lot of sense. Now I'm not sure unless they have shuttle service at the hotel. Once you pile everything into a taxi, it it may not matter all that much how far you go in terms of schlepping.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

I agree with the others, try somewhere really central like the Colon and get a 25 minute taxi ride to the airport.It is one of the few cities I would recommend this but access to the airport is so easy in BCN.I would also recommend something like atrapalo.com to book a hotel, they have never failed me and offer great reductions.

There are several shuttle buses from the city center to the airport and v.v., which I always take. In those airport buses, there is always room enough for luggage.

As said, it is very easy to get to the airport of BCN.

Edited by paulbrussel (log)

Getting back and forth between Barcelona and the airport doesn't seem to be a problem. What might be more inconvenient is getting anywhere from the Tryp Hotel if the only option is getting a cab to go either to the airport or downtown.

The Colon is a nice hotel with a view of the cathedral, but I'm not sure the gothic quarter is the most accessible to taxis or public tranportation.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Getting back and forth between Barcelona and the airport doesn't seem to be a problem. What might be more inconvenient is getting anywhere from the Tryp Hotel if the only option is getting a cab to go either to the airport or downtown.

I agree with Bux, but if you insist on staying at the Tryp hotel near the airport they supposedly offer a free shuttle as mentioned in the information page in the airline's computer:

"FREE SHUTTLE FROM THE HOTEL TO THE AIRPORT

WHERE YOU CAN CONECT THE TRAIN AND BUS. "

You can take the shuttle back to the airport after you've checked into the hotel and take the metro into the city. I don't know how late the shuttle works so you might end up having to take a taxi from the city center to the airport hotel. :sad:

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

I guess you have to have access to the right computer. That was exactly the sort of information I was looking to find on the hotel web site, but didn't see on the public site.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Well a new wrinkle has developed. Appearantly may 8th ( sunday) our last night in Spain is the BCN Formula One race. Hotels are filling up and no discounts. We will try to rent the same apt we have in begining of trip for only one night or else it looks as though we will take what we can get. Staying in the city is as easy as by the airport it appears so we are looking at many choices. Some are full already.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

• 2 weeks later...

Although Atrapolo lists many hotels we have recieved a string of "Sorry we are full" e-mails. May 8th is race day in BCN and will be very crowded. We have found a room at the Hotel Actual. http://www.hotelactual.com/

Anyone know of this place and have any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

It's listed in Michelin, which I regard as meeting some standard at least relative to its price and I find that reassuring if I don't know the hotel. It says its a small hotel of a new generation defined by its minimalist decor. In terms of comfort they show it as a two roof hotel. Often those ratings have as much to do with public spaces, lobby, bar, restaurants as much as the actual accommodations. I thought the web site photographs looked promising. It goes on to say the rooms are bright and adequately equipped. All other things being equal, I'd prefer to be a few blocks further south closer to the placa de Catalunya. Availability might be the unequal factor here. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable