• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stranded in another country ... hypothetically

Gifted Gourmet

I find it interesting how many people have mentioned India. How many people who mentioned it have been there? While the people are truly among the nicest most hospitable I have ever met, it was just way to much of a difference from Western culture.

Also while I love Indian food it got to be way to much after a month. Lunch was great every day, and the hotel had a wonderful Chinese restaurant for those days that I did not feel like eating Southern Indian food. Breakfast was quite the other matter :shock: after two weeks I had to switch to eating a mango and then going to work. The curry in the hash browns was just to much :raz:

On the other hand Miso for breakfast in Japan rocks, as does assorted meats in Italy.

Never trust a skinny chef

I'd go to Australia: they seem to have every cuisine in the world.

There is also a certain comfort level language wise in being stuck in an English speaking country.

That's one of the reasons that I love going to the UK. Interesting stuff and they speak English. It's just so much easier than me trying to speak a word here and word there of Italian or Portuguese etc. I still bring that point up to my parents in fact. My mother and grandmother would speak Portuguese to one another, so she did not want to teach us kids the language so she could keep secrets. My father and mother spoke French, so again same issue. So my mother did not teach us kids any language in fact kind of dissuaded us from learning them. I really wish she would have at least taught me Italian. So now at the ripe age of 46 I am considering taking conversational Italian :laugh:

Never trust a skinny chef