• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brown Bread Ice Cream

i was hooked on brown bread ice cream years ago when living in london. i've found what seem to be good recipes for it but i am not an ice cream maker.

has anyone ever come across it in seattle? or know of a source that would maybe ship it to me? these fall days have me longing for roast dinners, followed by a bowl of brown bread ice cream.

lemony

That sounds AMAZING. I've never heard of it--don't think it exists here, but then I'm on the other side of the country.

I vow to make it as soon as I get a decent ice cream maker.

What kind of bread, specifically, would you use? I looked briefly online and found several recipes, each pretty different. One even used grapenuts (cereal) instead of bread. One called for ground hazelnuts and yogurt. Some are just frozen in trays and others use ice cream makers. What is the traditional approach?

Thanks for letting us know about this strange and delicious-sounding treat.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

That sounds AMAZING. I've never heard of it--don't think it exists here, but then I'm on the other side of the country.

I vow to make it as soon as I get a decent ice cream maker.

What kind of bread, specifically, would you use? I looked briefly online and found several recipes, each pretty different. One even used grapenuts (cereal) instead of bread. One called for ground hazelnuts and yogurt. Some are just frozen in trays and others use ice cream makers. What is the traditional approach?

Thanks for letting us know about this strange and delicious-sounding treat. 

There's a good recipe for it in Joy of Cooking. Use their wholemeal bread recipe and you have the fun of including bacon dripping in your ice cream. Much like Walls does in England, but they miss out the whole cream/ eggs stuff and just go with the pig fat.

thanks for the tip on fado. living in west seattle, i drive by fado nearly every day, as the columbia street on-ramp to the viaduct is right there. and, while i generally abhor ye olde timey irish pubs and binge drinking college kids, a visit is now definitely in order. there's nothing wrong with ice cream for lunch!

lemony

There's a good recipe for it in Joy of Cooking.  Use their wholemeal bread recipe and you have the fun of including bacon dripping in your ice cream.  Much like Walls does in England, but they miss out the whole cream/ eggs stuff and just go with the pig fat.

I'm really not sure how I feel about that...

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA