• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Burgers In North Jersey ?

dmccoac

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

EXCELLENT recommendation, Markk!!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm with Holly on this one, definitely White Manna in Hackensack! If you go for the first time make sure you get both singles and doubles to see which one you like better.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I wouldn't necessarily call White Manna a "Good Burger". I mean for the genre they represent, which is the greasy slider, they are very good, and perhaps the best of its type, but they are not like a really good 8oz sirloin or steak meat burger that's been char broiled. Or even a good diner-style burger.

Since Finks closed and the The Diner in Oradell changed hands, I'm not sure there is anywhere I would reccomend now.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I wouldn't necessarily call White Manna a "Good Burger". I mean for the genre they represent, which is the greasy slider, they are very good, and perhaps the best of its type, but they are not like a really good 8oz sirloin or steak meat burger that's been char broiled. Or even a good diner-style burger.

Since Finks closed and the The Diner in Oradell changed hands, I'm not sure there is anywhere I would reccomend now.

A half pound burger isn't really a classic burger. They just aren't supposed to be that big. Quarter pound, maybe 5 oz tops. The size, the cut of meat, the cooking method - variations on a theme. But not a classic burger.

I agree about White Manna's burger. Definitely not a "good burger." It is a "great burger."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly, I probably eat at White Manna as often as once every month or so, but still, as great as they are, it doesn't hit the spot when I want a nice big beefy sirloin-type burger. Whether the large hamburger is tradition or not, its what I am usually jonesing for when I want "a burger".

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Holly, I probably eat at White Manna as often as once every month or so, but still, as great as they are, it doesn't hit the spot when I want a nice big beefy sirloin-type burger. Whether the large hamburger is tradition or not, its what I am usually jonesing for when I want "a burger".

Just the opposite here. Nothing wrong with a half pound burger if the restaurant can cook it properly. Most can't. Usually overcooked, the juices squashed out by a spatula. Or raw in the center and then returned to the kitchen and received back overcooked, the juices squashed out by a spatula.

And, while I am at one with my food to the point of usually wearing some of it by the time I'm finished, I hate burgers that are so big and served on a flimsy form of bread or bun that they crumble and fall apart during the eating process.

Too much margin for error with a half pound burger. Even the places noted for their half pound or larger burgers are, in my experience, all too inconsistent.

There is also the meat to bun ratio. It is perfect with a four or five ounce burger. Often too much bun with a larger burger.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Just the opposite here.  Nothing wrong with a half pound burger if the restaurant can cook it properly.  Most can't.  Usually overcooked, the juices squashed out by a spatula.  Or raw in the center and then  returned to the kitchen and received back overcooked, the juices squashed out by a spatula.

And, while I am at one with my food to the point of usually wearing some of it by the time I'm finished, I hate burgers that are so big and served on a flimsy form of bread or bun that they crumble and fall apart during the eating process.

Too much margin for error with a half pound burger.  Even the places noted for their half pound or larger burgers are, in my experience, all too inconsistent.

There is also the meat to bun ratio.  It is perfect with a four or five ounce burger.  Often too much bun with a larger burger.

But isn't that what we're looking for here--the places that do get all of the elements right: perfectly cooked, juicy, on a substantial enough bun/roll/pieces of toast, whatever your preference, but still a nice meat-to-bun ratio)?

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Jackson Hole - Englewood (but still doesn't compare with the 35th and Third Ave NYC location of the same name)

Arthur's - Hoboken (don't tell me your opinion on their steaks... it's irrelevant b/c their burgers are great)

Oddfellows - Hoboken (makes a good 'blackened' burger)

Gaffer's - West Orange(?), i went once on Rosie's recommendation and it was good

Iron Horse - Westwood, some love it but i've never been overly impressed

PS- if you ever drive thru Hamden, CT (can easily be done on a NYC-->Boston trip, give Ted's Steamed Burger's a try... a unique burger experience)

Edited by thereuare (log)

Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley makes a great burger. They have an option for a 1/4 lb Angus burger.

I usually go for the "Jersey Burger" which is made with Taylor Ham on top and cheese.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I had a pretty good burger at Raymond's in Montclair...

Raymond's

32A Church St

Montclair, NJ 07042

Phone: (973) 744-9262

Was memorable, tho' other things were not.

~waves

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

one of the best in the area.  perhaps i'll cut and paste all of my recommendations from the other thread.  or not.

Also in Nutley, Jim Dandy's (across the the Nutley BuyRite Liquor store), makes a pretty good burger. The med rare ones are perfect......and good crispy fries.