• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Frugal Is Gourmet?A practical new cookbook

Gifted Gourmet

I am wondering why no one I have read on the subject so far (and I have not read the reviews comprehensively, but this thread is an example), not to mention the introduction and acknowledgement sections of the book (in my quick read of them anyway) is mentioning the most prominent thing about this book, to people interested in US cookbooks.

It is the NEW, or revised, Gourmet Cook Book. The established Gourmet Cook Book, edited by Earl MacAusland and published by Rand-McNally in 1950, with various supplements and revisions, was bought in such numbers that it's been prominent in US used bookstores for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of copies of the original book in circulation outnumbers the new one and stays that way for some time. Albeit written at a different time and with different priorities, and of course a different population of issues of Gourmet from which to draw. But neither the title nor the introductory matter in the new book ("60 years in the making," implying that it overlapped the production of the original -- or maybe just referring to issues of Gourmet magazine) -- does any comparison or contrast or even reference to the original at all, that I have found. (I'd be happy to learn of any.) In the case of reviews that I've seen so far, the situation is similar.

This is eerie, and probably seems so to many people who have been accustomed to referring to the Gourmet Cook Bookfor many years, and now hear people talking about the same title, meaning a completely different work.

I am not talking here about the content of the new book, only its context.

May we look forward now to new editions of, say, Marcus Gavius Apicius, or the Guide Culinaire, or the Joy of Cooking, edited by new people, with no mention of their forebears that made these names?

"We wanted a book that people cooked out of, not just looked at," Mr. Willoughby said. "The idea is that you can go to it for anything, from the best hamburger to a beef Wellington."

Just one recipe so far. I made the Scallop Mousse with Ginger Infused Veloute as our first course for a New Year's dinner. 9 good cooks could not stop raving about it, so I would call it an unqualified success.

This cookbook was my Christmas present to myself (along with a new vacuum cleaner...) :biggrin:

I have spent hours going through and yesterday I made three recipes from it:

Lime Molasses Vinaigrette -- this was great! I tossed it with a radish and radish greens salad

Parisian Passover Coconut Macaroons -- Incredible!!  I love cocnut macaroons and make them quite a bit but this recipe , with an Italian meringue, was over the top.

Moroccan-Style Preserved Lemons  -- this will take four more days until I know the results :biggrin:

Has anyone been cooking from this?

What are some of your favorites?

any duds?

The recipes are presented with such consistent enthusiasm that you know your life will be improved by cooking them all.

So far I've made the turkey meatloaf and the roasted parsnips and carrots. Both turned out well.

My copy was a surprise pre-birthday gift from my dear sister, along with the New Yorker cartoon collection. The box was so big and heavy I thought it was a car.

The recipes are presented with such consistent enthusiasm that you know your life will be improved by cooking them all.

So far I've made the turkey meatloaf and the roasted parsnips and carrots. Both turned out well.

My copy was a surprise pre-birthday gift from my dear sister, along with the New Yorker cartoon collection. The box was so big and heavy I thought it was a car.

Sonja,

Thank you and welcome to egullet!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I just got my copy. I LOVE IT! Fortunately, all the recipe titles are in orange, making them much easier on the eyes. Clearly the publishers realized quickly enought that the bright yellow font is a real nuisance. I made Ruth's Pancakes this morning and I loved them. They were about 50% butter so it would have been difficult for them to not taste good, but nonetheless, so far so good.

As everyone has been saying, the introductions to the recipes are so enthusiastic that one can't help but be excited to try them.

Anyway, 1 down, 1000 to go.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com