• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming up on one month

Brad Ballinger

It's almost a month since I last pulled a cork. This hasn't been a conscious hiatus by any means, it's just sort of happened. What's the longest dry spell you've ever had with respect to wine -- not accounting for religious fasting such as lent?

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Maybe a week. Likely due to illness. Can't really imagine a month.....hope you can correct that in the near future. :)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

nine months. times three.

i was really scrupulous when i was pregnant.

but the kids turned out great. (tho' i do consume wayyy more wine now that they are teenagers!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I'm with Jake -- when bronchitis or flu sets in, I want nothing other than chicken soup and tea (although I will occasionally have other alcoholic beverages like cognac in a hot toddy).

But no wine.

It's almost a month since I last pulled a cork.  This hasn't been a conscious hiatus by any means, it's just sort of happened.

I think it's time for an intervention. :laugh:

Mine was eight weeks of no alcohol; lost 15 pounds!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I think it's time for an intervention.  :laugh:

Really Nice, you obviously had no woman willing to drive you to drink, whom you could then neglect to thank (apologies to W.C. Fields). :wacko:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

6 Weeks...and I LOVE wine...in fact, it's about the only alcoholic beverage I drink ...I occasionally have a Margarita with Mexican food or rarely a Martini....where I live now, sometimes it's hard to find a decent wine by the glass and I'd rather drink soda water and cranberry than drink crappy wine. The weird thing was, that when I started back drinking wine, it all tasted bad to me :sad: . What a huge disappointment! That's ok tho....I kept at it and now it's starting to taste better :biggrin: ...but I'm surprised that after drinking at least one bottle of wine a day for probably the last 20 yrs, that it didnt' just come right back to me. I have significantly cut back because I figured it just isn't that healthy to drink that much every day.....wow....what a concept! :wacko:

A week or so.

Due to an ilness, I had to make do with two buck chucks and Gato Negros untill I could smell again....

They should outlaw the term stated on the bottles like they do Vodka.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Sigh. I need to lose fifteen, but I don't think I can do without wine entirely. I went to Fitday.com and typed in what I consume during a typical day. The purple wedge (wine) is at least 30% of my calories. I know! I'll just cut out the protein and carbs! :raz:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

10 days and that was due to antibiotics and that was 15 years ago. Since then maybe a day due to flu. With my business, wine distributor, it's a necessity of life. I love my job!

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover