• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jalapenos

s'kat

My husband came home last night with about 50 peppers, mostly jalapeno, some banana, some green.

I've already pickled four large jars worth, using the previous bags he'd brought home from this friend's house. Any other ideas on what I can use these in? I feel like I have peppers coming out of my ears!! :wacko:

Chili, soups, just cut 'em up and toss them on sandwhiches, roasted peppers for dips, jalepeno poppers, thai curries (jalepenos substitute well for serranos and vice versa), or anything else.

50 peppers should be a breeze to blow through.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

jalapeno salsa

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hey s'kat - Wolvie here -

if it was me, I'd clean them, chop them up, dry them, then spread them out on a cookie sheet and put said sheet into the freezer. Once frozen, bag them up and put back in freezer. Then you can take out as many as you like for soups, etc. Works great with any type of pepper, actually. :smile:

My husband came home last night with about 50 peppers, mostly jalapeno, some banana, some green. 

I've already pickled four large jars worth, using the previous bags he'd brought home from this friend's house.  Any other ideas on what I can use these in?  I feel like I have peppers coming out of my ears!!  :wacko:

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

For a little different approach to pickled peppers, I picked up a jar of "bread and butter" style jalapeno's that I read about in a local publication. It is a local brand, Joy Peppers. I tried them and they are GOOD! I am not usually a fan of sweetish bread and butter style pickles (I like them either really sweet or totally savory.) but this is a good fit for the sweet/sour taste. I haven't tried to adapt a recipe to the jalapenos as yet but this has possibilities.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Jelly, Jelly, Jelly.  Well, Jam actually. 

Then put on a cracker with cream cheese or glaze a pork roast.  Eat it with lamb or prime rib.  Put it over some parmesan or bleu cheese.

Good idea BeJam; The pepper jelly and cream cheese on crackers is a southern classic--easy and nice hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving. Looks even prettier if you add a few red jalapenos in there...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Bejam and ludja, I'm a proper Southern lady, with no fewer than 5 jars of varying-degrees-of-hot pepper jellies in my cupboard. Good stuff!

NulloModo, I love fiery foods, but I don't know that I could 'breeze through' this many- you have my respect!

Msk, I also made hot sauce and chili paste with my last batch, too.

Wolvie, I didn't know that you could freeze them! That's most likely where most of this batch will end up. Thanks!

Atomic Buffalo Turds

Ingredients:

• 2 lb Jalapeno's - fresh 2 -3 inches each (approx 30 count)

• 2 8 ounce pack of Cream Cheese

• 2 lb Bacon (may not use all)

• 1.5 lb Pulled Pork

Preparation Directions:

• Wash, remove stems and half jalapeno's lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).

Use left over pulled pork, or prepare a small shoulder (2lb) for this. Besides pulled pork you can use any meat. Hamburger, or wedges of italian sausage work well also.

Cut lengths of bacon strips just long enough to wrap around jalapeno half about twice.

Fill jalapeno halfs with cream cheese, top with a small amount of pulled pork and wrap the whole thing with a peice of bacon. I usually hold bacon on top of end of jalapeno and wrap around the middle and come back up over top at other end. Hold bacon ends in place with ½ toothpick each end.

Cooking Directions:

• Get cooker at 325deg steady. You are wanting to get bacon cooked without burning up the jalapeno's. I use a raised grid, and place the jalepeno's on a veggie rack allowing for easy removal when done.

Smoking these are even better. Maple wood and Hickory work well.

Allow 30 - 40 minutes for bacon to be done. Check them half way through and rearange as necessary to prevent any hot spots burning any.

Special Instructions:

• Cream cheese will not melt out unless the jalepeno is tipped over. After removing from grill let them set for about 10 minutes to let the bacon crispen up. Otherwise eat as soon as you are able to. Have a drink ready.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Thanks =Mark. I have a bit of leftover pulled pork, and have been looking for something other than pulled pork on a bun (or with fingers).

And, jalapeno's are dirt cheap at the farmer's market these days.

So cheap, in fact, that bushels of japalenos are running $3.00 per, and bushels of Thai bird chilis are about $3.50 per. Which leads me to wonder just what one would do with a bushel of bird chilis?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

So cheap, in fact, that bushels of japalenos are running $3.00 per, and bushels of Thai bird chilis are about $3.50 per.  Which leads me to wonder just what one would do with a bushel of bird chilis?

Hehe... I'd blow through them in about a week making larb, chili, vindaloo, and my other favorite dishes ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

A few years ago, there was this dessert featured in a magazine that included these beautiful red jalapeno strips that had been "candied" as a garnish. I think it was on something like a frozen mango mousse and I think it was in Martha Stewart. The strips looked to have a texture sort of like a candied cherry in that they were stand-up stiff and they were translucent like a candied cherry. I have tried every sort of candied fruit recipe known to man... or, at least, me... and the peppers always collapse into this withered pile of flabby goo. The only thing I haven't tried is pretreating with pickling lime. My dad used to use that to make some incredibly crisp pickles and pickled watermelon rind. Every time I see red jalapenos I sigh for that recipe.

One of the most spectacular and delicious desserts I have ever had (and I am not crazy about dessert) was in Akumal Mexico. It was incredibly complex in flavor and we kept trying to guess what was in it. All it was was mango in a blender, sweetened condensed drizzled in to taste, minced haberneros, frozen, served in a big brandy snifter. At the table, the waiter lit some good tequila and dramatically added a dipper of the flaming liquor to each snifter. I am sure that the flavor had nothing to do with the fact that our table was in the sand under the palm trees and the flaming concoction in the dark was so theatrical.

Talking with the chef later (when we found out what was in this incredibley subtle and complex dessert :laugh: ) he said you could use any pepper you wanted. I am thinking that experimenting with adding minced peppers to any number of desserts would be fun to play with.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fireballs!

several finely minced jalapenos

1 finely minced medium onion

1/2 pound each ground beef and pork

1 pound grated baked potatoes

1 egg

salt to taste

mix together and form as for meatballs

deep fry in hot oil until nicely browned

serve with dijon mustard as dip

have plenty of beer on hand :shock:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Oh yes pepper desserts could be great. You could try Jalepeno ice cream, or even better, a savory smoked jalepeno ice cream topped with a bit of pulled pork as a sort on non-sequitor starter.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Try a jalapeno-poblano cheesecake with a cornmeal crust & mango-papaya salsa garnish as an appetizer...sort of like a quiche but better.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I attended a "Hot Pepper Party" a couple years ago.

One dish (purported to be a Wolfgang Puck recipe) was diced mangos, diced red onion and diced jalepeños in a sort of vinaigrette. The mango pieces were actually chunkier than a dice and I can't really recall any other ingredients. It was a wonderful balance of hot & sweet & sour (from the vinaigrette). Simple but hot.

They also had an Artichoke Jalapeño cheese dip (also purported to be from Wolfgang Puck) that was the hit of the party. It's just like all those recipes for Artichoke Cheese dip you find on the web except you add diced jalapeños. When I bring this to parties I also make a batch with just diced green chiles for those who don't like the heat of the jalapeños (wimps). Serve with tortilla chips.

I can post the recipe if you're interested.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Along the lines of "twist on a perennial hors d'oeuvres" favorite as Toliver pointed out...

A local restaurant makes a spicy pimentio cheese dip to serve with tortilla chips. (Not sure how they lighten the texture a bit, mayo? and then jalapeno's added for heat). It 's addictive!

I make a jalapeno pimiento cheese dip -- good with tortilla chips or thin crispy crackers. Also wonderful spread on cornbread. Sharpest cheddar, lighten it with mayo and sourcream.

Then, of course, for those who indulge, there's always a jalapeno margarita. :shock:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

A few years ago, there was this dessert featured in a magazine that included these beautiful red jalapeno strips that had been "candied" as a garnish. I think it was on something like a frozen mango mousse and I think it was in Martha Stewart. The strips looked to have a texture sort of like a candied cherry in that they were stand-up stiff and they were translucent like a candied cherry. I have tried every sort of candied fruit recipe known to man... or, at least, me... and the peppers always collapse into this withered pile of flabby goo. The only thing I haven't tried is pretreating with pickling lime. My dad used to use that to make some incredibly crisp pickles and pickled watermelon rind. Every time I see red jalapenos I sigh for that recipe.

I make candied Chile Tepin or Chile Pequin but I start with a dried pepper in a very light simple syrup, i.e., 1 part sugar to 4 parts water to rehydrate them and then add more sugar as they plump. The trick is to cook them for a period of time, then cool them completely, then cook again.

With fresh ripe fruit you have to go very slow and use 1:1 simple syrup. Again, you have to bring them up to a bare simmer for a short time which drives the natural moisture out of the pepper, then let them cool completely which allows some of the syrup to take up the space where the natural moisture was. Then heat again just to a simmer, cool and repeat. This will keep the cell walls from collapsing as they would do if cooked continuously.

Try it with one pepper cleaned and cup in strips in about a cup of syrup, in a microwave safe bowl that is deep enough to hold the liquid if it starts to bubble up. You will be working in seconds instead of minutes, but it will give you an idea of the number of steps it will take to reach the point where the entire strip is translucent which indicates the syrup has replaced the natural moisture in the flesh of the pepper.

Use an instant read thermometer to measure the temperature of the syrup you want to keep it below the "soft ball" temperature so it will remain syrup and not solidify.

Otherwise, try partially drying a couple of whole peppers in the oven at its lowest setting.

Shake them occasionally and when you can hear the seed rattling around they should be dry enough to start the candying process. Proceed as above.

Don't forget to save the syrup! You can either put it in a bottle (carefully marked) and store at room temperature. Or cook it down further to the "hard crack" stage and spoon little dollops onto parchment paper to make "red-hots" sweet, hot drops which, after they have dried into hard little lumps, can be crushed and stirred into vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks andie... That method is pretty much what I did, several times, altering syrup strength, watching temperature etc. BUT... I didn't dry the strips first. And I didn't make the first pass in a light syrup. I would love for pepper strips to come out with a texture like the cherries. Cherries have a somewhat similar cell structure so it must be doable.

I did save the syrup! But... boy was it hot! I gave it to an asbestos mouthed friend. That really surprised me since I had seeded and sliced out the membranes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 5 years later...

I ran across a discussion about making sweet hot jalapenos from fresh jalapenos last week. I saved the recipe, or so I thought, and now I can not find it in any of my likely computer files. I would appreciate help in locating the pertinent information---I have the jalapenos and the sugar, but I don't recall the exact directions. Thanks in advance.