• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Smith

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva & Appleton 21YearOld

Greetings,

I was suppose to write up a quick review of these two rums this past Sunday, but I have been busy.  So here goes...  I only wish that I new the proper terms and how to describe the flavors properly.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva:

• Good all around.  On a scale of 1 to 5 stars, I give it 3 ½ and my buddy gave it 4 stars (out of 45 rums bought and tasted since July 2001)
  • Smooth light rum with no real imposing character.  Not too smooth, but just enough not to be offensive when sipped straight.
  • Out of the rums that I have tasted, I would have to compare it to Brugal Anejo Grand Reserve Familiar, but clearly better and more refined.

Appleton 21 Year Old:

• The smell… oh the smell… one of the best smelling rums out there!  There’s so much going on in a single whiff.
  • Strangely enough, the things I like about the 12 Year Old are different than what I like about this 21 Year Old.  But, the 21 Year old is definitely superior to the 12 Year Old.
  • Great taste, lots of flavors and character.  Has hints of Pompero Aniversario (which is one of my favorites).
  • A definite 4 stars in my books!

If anyone is interested, I have a spread sheet of all the rums that I have in my collection.  They are listed with ratings beside each one.  The ratings are of course relative to the selection that I have tasted and an average of mine and my friends.  I could email this to anyone who is interested.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this