• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic

snowangel

Thanks again for participating.

What is your take on the term "authentic?" As an example, at various time, people have asked or questioned about certain foods as being authentic.

Just what is "authentic?" Hearkening back to my Thailand background, a few have mentioned authentic Pad Thai. Recalling my many memories, it was different at every vendor. Likewise, was the raw pork larb which hailed from northern Thailand any less authenic that the poached pork of the central Thailand region? The same could be said of signature dishes of any area of the world.

Your thoughts on the term "authenic" when applied to food.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

That's a tough one...I suppose I would mean a dish that overall reflects and recalls its traditional version on home ground, allowing for personal, idiosyncratuc variations. Think about the Pad Thai of all of those vendors..didn't all have a commonality of flavors and textures that lead you to accept them as "correct"..i.e. authentic?