• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network to reheat 'Iron Chef'

Gifted Gourmet

the story

Food Network is cooking up more "Iron Chef America," greenlighting production on a series that will extend the life of Kitchen Stadium .. beginning in January ..Bobby Flay, Mario Batali and Masaharu Morimoto have signed on to be the American Iron Chefs. Alton Brown ("Good Eats") will reprise his role as the resident commentator, and Kevin Brauch (Fine Living's "Thirsty Traveler") will report from the floor of Kitchen Stadium.

Judges include Dana Cowin, editor-in-chief of Food and Wine magazine; Barbara Fairchild, exec editor of Bon Appetit magazine; Jeffery Steingarten, food writer for Vogue; food writer Victoria Riccardi; and Vishakha Desai, president of the Asia Society.

Think it will be as well-received as the episodes from last April? :rolleyes: Those shows pulled some 12 million viewers ... Think it will be even more successful?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

When FN decided to shoot the last special, I was skeptical because I still had the sourt taste of William Shatner's Iron Chef USA in my mouth. But the recent special was good, and although not perfect, was very engaging. From the scuttlebutt I've heard, the new series is being produced on the cheap. Whether or not that will lessen the quality remains to be seen. I'm disenfranchised from FN right now because of their slim pickings. Marc Summers and Unwrapped is on almost every time I flip by. Argh.

I like Steingarten's writing, but I thought he acted like an ass as a judge.  Maybe he was doing the Simon Cowell thing, but it really rubbed me wrong.

I totally agree. Steingarten came off as a complete douche. Maybe he was having flashbacks of his experience with the taro leaf when he spazzed on Sakai’s laurel leaf garnish, but he struck me as a major dick head. I read his work (Vogue, two books, special to daily gullet, etc…) and I enjoy it a lot, but I’m not eager to watch him pompously cooing over Bobby Flay’s fish tacos while he chastises Sakai over a garnish.

Edited to remove previously chosen adjective...

Edited by carp (log)

I totally agree. Steingarten came off as a complete douche. Maybe he was having flashbacks of his experience with the taro leaf when he spazzed on Sakai’s laurel leaf garnish, but he struck me as a major dick head. I read his work (Vogue, two books, special to daily gullet, etc…) and I enjoy it a lot, but I’m not eager to watch him pompously cooing over Bobby Flay’s fish tacos while he chastises Sakai over a garnish.

I was completely taken aback when I realized who he was(I missed their announcing the panel). I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt since he was so cartoonishly over the top, but hopefully he'll tone it down.

I thought he was just being Steingarten, or Steingarten larger than life. I thought he clearly meant to be an outrageous character. Without saying that I liked his character, I thought he added a creative element to the show. The Japanese original version of the show never offered all that much in the way of interesting, enlightening or even amusing information about the dishes from the panel who seemed overbalanced towards knowing nothing about food. Some has to make something out of the few moments they have to say anything at all. I'm bored with the fawning "this was so good" or "the x was such a perfect foil for the y." The majority of the comments aren't much more interesting than "the salad was so leafy."

Who were the other three panelists besides Jeffrey? I tuned in late last night and they never repeated the introductions. I know one of the contenders coming up. Is the list public? I assume not by the comments made above. I guess I'll go back to my source to see if I'm sworn to secrecy.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I know one of the contenders coming up. Is the list public? I assume not by the comments made above. I guess I'll go back to my source to see if I'm sworn to secrecy.

Let us know. I was just being circumspect...didn't want anyone to get in hot water because I publicly disclosed something I wasn't supposed to.

I'll try to check when I'm there tomorrow

Edited by mjs (log)

It'll probably do well and then FTV will oversaturate it on the air.

I like Steingarten's writing, but I thought he acted like an ass as a judge.  Maybe he was doing the Simon Cowell thing, but it really rubbed me wrong.

I dunno. I've read both of Steingarten's books and I try to read his articles in Vogue, assuming my wife buys a copy. I thought he was WAY harsh compared to the usual Japanese Iron Chef judges (the fortune teller, food critic, actresses, etc) but frankly I thought he was right on.

If this is supposed to be a cooking contest of the highest caliber -- even taking into account the challenging time limit -- the judges ought to be similarly discriminating when it comes to the food.

Yeah, he came off as a jerk. But a correct jerk. Heck, I'd like to see him as a regular judge, just like some of the Japanese Iron Chef judges that tasted on multiple battles.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Alex Lee, who was executive chef at Daniel, is shooting an episode in the very near future. I think the shoot is next week, but I don't know when it will be aired. I understand there are new Iron Chefs and I'm even more curious to know what it takes to chosen as an Iron Chef, than I am to know how they choose challengers.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

We had to sign a confidentiality agreement when we went to the taping promising not to disclose a thing.

However, I don't think it is confidential that there are 3 Iron Chefs, Morimoto, Batali, and Flay. As far as I know they aren't adding anyone else for the next series of shows.

Here is the biography of Cat Cora :wink:

Cat got the education of her dreams at The Culinary Institute of America, in Hyde Park.....  Her culinary education continued in Europe with apprenticeships with two of France's three-star Michelin chefs: George Blanc and Roger Verge. From George Blanc of Vonnas, outside of Lyon, she learned a great deal about cuisine of the French countryside, tolerance, and extreme cooking. With Roger Verge, she learned not only about cooking great classical French cuisine, but also about embracing life and living it to the fullest as Roger does.

Then there are shows and cookbooks she has written .. quite a formidable Iron Chef she will make!

Alex Lee, who was executive chef at Daniel, is shooting an episode in the very near future. I think the shoot is next week, but I don't know when it will be aired. I understand there are new Iron Chefs and I'm even more curious to know what it takes to chosen as an Iron Chef, than I am to know how they choose challengers.

Cat Cora is an Iron Chef....Um, I really hate to sound stupid, but who is she?

Here is the biography of Cat Cora :wink:

Then there are shows and cookbooks she has written .. quite a formidable Iron Chef she will make!

I'm quite prejudiced on this one and will only note that she's up against some formidable competition. On the other had, looking at her photo, I'll accept that she's got Jeffrey's vote all sewn up. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

are you implying, Bux, that talent sometimes takes a back seat to "exterior" qualities in some chefs? :laugh:

Style over substance? :wink: I rather enjoy Batali's rosy and angelic visage .. but then I am of the female persuasion ... those orange clogs are sooooo hot!

It's nice to see Michael Laiskonis up there too, but I have to say that some of those affiliations are not exactly up to day. It looks as if this web page was written and fact checked a year ago.

EDIT: Already under discussion here. The Michael Laiskonis announcement, I mean.

Edited by Bux (log)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

are you implying, Bux, that talent sometimes takes a back seat to "exterior" qualities in some chefs? :laugh:

Style over substance?  :wink:  I rather enjoy Batali's rosy and angelic visage .. but then I am of the female persuasion ... those orange clogs are sooooo  hot!

Not in the chef, but possibly in the eye of the beholding judge. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable