• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UNESCO and Mexican Food

caroline

On Monday 4th October in the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City there will be a function to move ahead the recognition of Mexico's food as an oral and non material patrimony of humanity (forgive the unintentional puns in translation) of UNESCO. The title is ¨People of Maize: Mexican Ancestral Cuisine. Rites, Ceremonies and Practices of Mexican Cuisine."

The current president of Conaculta (the Advisory Board on Culture) will start the proceedings, long-term commentator Cristina Barros and Gloria López Morales will present the case, and various others unknown to me will comment. I think all the food establishment of Mexico will be there,

Best,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Thanks, Rachel. Will you be going? Can you report on the event?

No I won't Richard. Pity in some ways. As most of us on this list well know the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City is one of the world's really great museums. I've had the luck to be invited to some of these after-hours events and it is somewhere between inspiring and creepy to be chatting over wine with the dark galleries and all their contents dimly visible at your back.

But apart from the cost in time and money of going to Mexico City, I have to admit to some reservations about the event. But never fear. I am sure I can get a report from friends and the newspapers,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

On Monday 4th October in the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City there will be a function to move ahead the recognition of Mexico's food as an oral and non material patrimony of humanity (forgive the unintentional puns in translation) of UNESCO.  The title is ¨People of Maize: Mexican Ancestral Cuisine. Rites, Ceremonies and Practices of Mexican Cuisine." 

The current president of Conaculta (the Advisory Board on Culture) will start the proceedings, long-term commentator Cristina Barros  and Gloria López Morales will present the case, and various others unknown to me will comment.  I think all the food establishment of Mexico will be there,

Best,

Rachel

Heavens! If there were ever an excuse to slaughter the piggie bank, this is it! I have long said that should there ever be established a museum to Mexican gastronomy, that the Museo de Antropologia would sink into the ground in shame over its unworthiness. This is really, really major news. Cristina Barros, and her writing partner, Marco Buenrostro (is he really handsome?) and their weekly column 'Itacate' in La Jornada, are two of my heros. Who else will be there?

Please, please Caroline, fill us in on this. Are you thinking of going to the DF for this ceremony? How fantastic!!!!!

Besitos,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Caroline, I just read your reply - must have happened when I was posting. I, for one, would be very interested in knowing why you have reservations. I know your feeling about food in Mexico, so I really, really would like to hear what you think the downside will be.

Otra vez,

Theabroma

OMG--I've been offline for nearly a week, first due to a head-on car crash--no injuries, thank god, pero me dio un susto increible; the other car turned across the highway directly in front of me and slammed into my car--and then the dratted computer was down for the next three days.

And the first post I read on eGullet tonight is about this event--and I will actually be in the DF from Friday Oct 1 till Wednesday Oct 6! How does a person get to go to this event? I'll be traveling with the executive chef (a CIA graduate) from a local hotel and man oh man--Caroline, gimme the scoop, please.

Oh, and PS: we have reservations Friday night at Izote.

Edited by esperanza (log)

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

OMG--I've been offline for nearly a week, first due to a head-on car crash--no injuries, thank god, pero me dio un susto increible; the other car turned across the highway directly in front of me and slammed into my car--and then the dratted computer was down for the next three days. 

And the first post I read on eGullet tonight is about this event--and I will actually be in the DF from Friday Oct 1 till Wednesday Oct 6!  How does a person get to go to this event?  I'll be traveling with the executive chef (a CIA graduate) from a local hotel and man oh man--Caroline, gimme the scoop, please.

Okay, you are duty bound to report on Izote. And if your schedule and purse can bear it, got to Tezka and report! I would imagine that you can call CONACULTA (Concilio Nacional de Cultura y Artes) or the Museo de Antropologia. It seems that the event will be at the museum, sponsored by CONACULTA. My guess is that there will be a notice of some sort in La Jornada.

Regards,

Theabroma

PS: You lucky dogs!!!!!!!

And the first post I read on eGullet tonight is about this event--and I will actually be in the DF from Friday Oct 1 till Wednesday Oct 6!  How does a person get to go to this event?  I'll be traveling with the executive chef (a CIA graduate) from a local hotel and man oh man--Caroline, gimme the scoop, please.

Okay, you are duty bound to report on Izote. And if your schedule and purse can bear it, got to Tezka and report! I would imagine that you can call CONACULTA (Concilio Nacional de Cultura y Artes) or the Museo de Antropologia. It seems that the event will be at the museum, sponsored by CONACULTA. My guess is that there will be a notice of some sort in La Jornada.

Regards,

Theabroma

PS: You lucky dogs!!!!!!! And I am SO glad to hear that you are OK!

Esperanza, that does sound like a horrible shock. What a miracle that no one was hurt. Have a wonderful time in DF. The event is Monday at 6:30. I'm not sure what the procedure is for getting in. I just got an email. I suspect they want lots of warm bodies. I'll try to find out.

My husband went to Izote and said the barbacoa was the best he had ever tasted. The American/Spanish/Italian group he took loved it.

And Tezka is wonderful and not outrageously expensive. if I remember the tasting menu was $40. It's a bit difficult to go because they only do evening meals a few days a week and it's not always easy to get there for comida since it's way in the south. But reservations are not difficult.

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan