• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plantation 83 ???

ELA

I've been hearing about this rum quite a bit lately. Can anybody give me the details on this, perhaps a tasting review?

Is it difficult to find? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Eric

I bought a bottle of it in California at Beverages and More but I havent opened it yet.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The bottle is a tall 750ml, sealed with red wax at the top.

the label reads

Old Reserve

Vintage

Old Artisanal Rum from Jamaica

(picture of the island of jamaica)

PLANTATION

Rum

Jamaica

produce of Jamaica

%45 alcohol

back of the bottle indicates importer, Gabriel & Andreu, NY

rum has a very nice amber color.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Gabriel and Andreu is the importer and producer of Kaniche, so I am presuming that Plantation is produced in the french style. They also produce cognac and calvados and poire.

their website is www.gafrance.com

just had a sip. The flavor profile is more similar to cognac or armagnac than it is a smoky rum... definitely french style. basically, like kaniche but obviously much more advanced in years.

very nice.

Yep, they do.

www.bevmo.com (the place I bought it) has it for ั.99 and they show 2 in stock.  They also have 1 Plantation 1991 Trinadad left.

91 from Trinidad will be much lighter than 83 from Jamaica. These are rums that are bought from the distilleries and then private bottled. There are a number of these around and because they are small runs they are all but impossible to keep track off.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

So for example, the 83 could very well be a Wray and Nephew or an Appleton, but Gabriel & Andreu bought a few hundred barrels and bottled it privately?

• 4 weeks later...

just read this thread and thought I'd mention that the Artisnal Plantation Rums come in other island styles than just Trinidad and Jamaica. There's also Barbados (my Favorite of the group) and Guyana. Hi-times sells all of the first three (Trinidad, Jamaica, and Barbados), but I have only ever seen one bottle of the Guyana and it wasn't for sale.