• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child tribute dinner suggestions

Septemberdog61

I've always liked the leek and potato soup in volume one of Mastering. Turn it into vichyssoise if you feel so inclined, though it might be too much if you're going for pommes Anna. There's also the onion soup, also in Mastering v.1 - or you could try the garlic soup in The Way to Cook.

Edited to mention that I like my soups "uncomplicated."

Edited by Devilkitty (log)

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

A souffle, perhaps for dessert, in shich case you could also make a Creme Anglaise. Use the recipe from "Mastering the Art." As Julia would say, they're not nearly so complicated as you'd think.

Edited to suggest that, despite the excellent ideas you'll likely get from this thread, a better idea might be to go home and knock back a bottle of wine while leafing through her books, waiting to see what jumps up and talks to you. Use the the Force, Luke...

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Even though it's terrifically out of season, I always think of Julia baking a Buche de Noel every holidays. You could definitely do the Buche de Noel for dessert!

And lots of gin martinis...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We did an eight-course dinner a couple weekends ago. Four people each owned preparing two courses. Here's the menu:

Fondue au Gruyere..........................From MTAOFC — Part 1, page 201

French onion soup...........................From The Way to Cook, page 19

French Bread....................................From The Way to Cook, page 38

Fillet of sole sautéed in butter.........From The Way to Cook, page 98

Roast Leg of Lamb...........................From MTAOFC — Part 1, page 332

Duchess potatoes............................From The way to cook, page 322

Salade de Poivrons..........................From MTAOFC — Part 2, page 411

Cheese soufflé................................From MTAOFC — Part 1, page 163

Cornets..........................................From MTAOFC — Part 2, page 135

filled w/ Chantilly Meringue sprinkled with praline...MTAOFC — Part 2, page 430

*MTAOFC = Mastering the Art of French Cooking

Everything was great except the cornets. They were a disaster. The homemade puff pastry turned out great. But the first time I wrapped them around the cornet mold, they slid down during cooking and looked like dog pooh. So the second time I brushed the puff pastry with an egg wash. The delicate pastry became baked to the cornet. I had to use a scraper to separate them.

So we ended up serving chantilly meringue with seasonal fruit. In hind sight, I should have punted by making pastry shells. That or wrap parchment paper around the conet mold. Oh well.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera