• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carne Asada

elswinger

I would like to try my hand at making Carne Asada. I was wondering what cut of steak would be recommended and any recipes would be greatly appreciated.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

It's almost overkill, but ribeye works well too. It's a good use for the odd shaped end parts of a rack.

Other than that, pretty much whatever's on sale. You do want a certain amount of marbling in there though. I don't see why you couldn't cut up a roast to accomplish the same...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I have Rick Bayless's book in front of me. There is a Q and A section and one of the questions is "What's the best cut of steak for Carne Asada?" He talks around the question, but eventually settles on two choices -- bone-in ribeye if he has money to throw around, chuck steak if money's a bit tight. The chuck steak would be a thinner cut than the ribeye.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

One of my favorite cuts for this, or any presentation requiring this type of cut, is the cap meat off the export rib (taking the cap meat off, cutting ribeyes and frenching the rib allows us to do ribeyes or cotes de boeuf, with the cap steak reserved for other uses. This strip along the rib is a wonderul, flat piece of meat - and I treat it just like any flank steak.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

My favorite cut for Carne Asada is Flap Meat. Flap Meat is part of the bottom sirloin, and IMO it's the undiscovered gem of beef cuts. It's a thin, loose grained cut with great beef flavor, similar to skirt or hangar steak. I buy it at my Mexican butcher for three something a pound. It's very good . . .