• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattles best deli?

I'm looking for a good old fashioned deli with tons of different cold cuts and cheeses and sandwich rolls (preferably Kaiser and Hoagies). I'd prefer one that's easy to get to by bus as I don't have a car (consider the UW as my ground zero).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm looking for a good old fashioned deli with tons of different cold cuts and cheeses and sandwich rolls (preferably Kaiser and Hoagies).  I'd prefer one that's easy to get to by bus as I don't have a car (consider the UW as my ground zero).

The only way you'll get to a decent deli by bus in Seattle is if it's Greyhound. :sad:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

How's this for vague....

Driving through SODO recently, I saw a sign on 1st Ave S (or was it 4th?) saying there was an Italian deli opening soon, so maybe there's some hope.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

How's this for vague....

Driving through SODO recently, I saw a sign on 1st Ave S (or was it 4th?) saying there was an Italian deli opening soon, so maybe there's some hope.

Are you talking about Il Vero? They're moving there from a few blocks away on Spokane St. I've driven by many times but have never stopped there:

http://www.ilverodeli.com/

Are you talking about Il Vero?  They're moving there from a few blocks away on Spokane St.  I've driven by many times but have never stopped there:

http://www.ilverodeli.com/

That's probably it. Guess it's not new then and I have no idea if its any good. As always, I'm a font of useful info.... :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I've never been there either, but it's been recommended to me by a friend who works in the area and has lunch there often. I consider him to be a reliable source of food-related information in general but without any deli-specific expertise.

If you go, please post a report!

What about Roxy's Deli (downtown or ballard) ? I have only been once or twice to the ballard location, and it has been a few years.

Is there a consensus?

I've been to the Roxy's by Pike Place and it's pretty poor. Granted, I have the bias of being a NY Jewboy at heart, but Roxy's was just plain weak.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I've been to the Roxy's by Pike Place and it's pretty poor. Granted, I have the bias of being a NY Jewboy at heart, but Roxy's was just plain weak.

so...where do you get your pastrami on?

i think the only thing that keeps me from diving right off the no-meat platform is the lack (or perceived lack) of real east coast deli.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

How's Roxy's potato salad?

What I was actually looking for though is a "deli", as in, a shop that sells, meats (cold cuts), cheeses, and breads, that I would take home and make sandwiches myself. I am really looking for some good bologna, cotto salami, etc. for an upcoming Hoagey party. The deli section at my local grocer (Wedgewood QFC is piss poor).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

What I was actually looking for though is a "deli", as in, a shop that sells, meats (cold cuts), cheeses, and breads, that I would take home and make sandwiches myself. I am really looking for some good bologna, cotto salami, etc. for an upcoming Hoagey party.  The deli section at my local grocer (Wedgewood QFC is piss poor).

If you don't want to trek to Salumi on Metro, then the QFC at U-Village has a nicer selection than most -- Boar's Head cold cuts and some nice cheeses, in addition to their store-brand stuff.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

roxy's on 1st ave (by the market) has blessedly closed. i'm with you, placebo, the joint was a bummer. do not sell knishes if you don't make them well!

u.district deli: although it is not the complete counter you are looking for, there is a german/bavaraian store located just before 50th on roosevelt. i haven't been there for years (moved out of the neighborhood) but used to be hooked on their sandwiches - ham, swiss, a smear of some sort of mayo-mustard blend - served on delicious little rolls. cheap, as well. i can't remember the name of the place but i know it's still there.

and, although you've got transportation limitations, consider a field trip out to west seattle to husky deli, located in the heart of the junction. excellent meats, cheeses, sandwiches, salads, and all sorts of imported treats (including maltesers!).

good luck. it's hard to find a good deli counter in seattle.

lemony

Roxy's originator has a place in Fremont now - old bagel oasis. Haven't tried it.

Maybe this place?

Leah's Bakery

2116 65th NE

Seattle, WA Washington 98115

(206) 985-2647

The main bakery has no meat - dairy kosher, but they opened a another place (across the street?) that was suppose to have meat.

Also, the Mercer Island Albertsons (QFC?) is suppose to have a kosher deli.

Also, the Mercer Island Albertsons (QFC?) is suppose to have a kosher deli.

its Kosher in the religous sense ~ but its just cold cuts on bread as far as being a deli. i did have a knish from the bakery, which was not bad.

but i'd say Albertsons is WAY better than the sandwich and knish that i ate at Roxy's on First.

more on the german deli mentioned previously: i drove by the spot yesterday, it is called The Continental Store and it appears to have either changed format or added a restaurant or...? i wasn't able to stop in but, if you're interested, the available phone and address info is here.

in related news, the neighboring Tubs Seattle has apparently added espresso to its services, which conjures a simply awful image in my mind.

lemony

Hi Elswinger,

A great place to find most of what you're looking for is Pacific Food Importers (PFI). They're just south of the I.D., at 1001 6th. Ave. S. Level B (It's off of 6th a bit, in a brick warehouse -- you have to walk through the parking lot to get to their entrance.)

Most of their food is Italian, but their meat and cheeses selection is broad. You do have to generally order by the pound, but if you're having a party, that should be no problem. They also have great olive selections by the pound.

They probably don't have Kaisers and Hoagie rolls, but there are plenty of places you can pick those up.

http://www.pacificfoodimporters.com/

has anyone been to the other coast cafe?

My co-worker and her husband get sandwiches from there every Saturday. She says they are fantastic (and she's from NY). She lives near there so she just calls in her order and takes it home. I've never been because everytime I go, the place looks too crowded for my comfort. Next time I'm doing the take out thing.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

what about tat's deli?

Looks promising from the menu, reesek! Have you (or anyone) tried Tat's Deli? I should hop a 3rd Ave. bus to Pioneer Square and give it a try one of these noon hours. These guys are Right Coasters according to the website, so they should know good deli. I'm tempted.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

the italian sub looked authentic from the description...but they're philly guys - right coast - wrong cheese...and they offer some disturbing combinations.

"sir, please keep the mayonnaise off my corned beef."

bbqer - let me know how it is...i might leap off the wagon at your rec.

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Looks promising from the menu, reesek! Have you (or anyone) tried Tat's Deli? I should hop a 3rd Ave. bus to Pioneer Square and give it a try one of these noon hours. These guys are Right Coasters according to the website, so they should know good deli. I'm tempted.

I walked past here a few weeks ago and kept forgetting to mention it. It's just across the way from Soup Daddy.

Anyone want to meet and give it a try next week??

Wendy

ah - i'd forgotten about that review...but i do love me some macaroni salad. no idea why, but there's something about the slippery macaroni, relish and mayo that turns me into a 6 year old. so i might try it and half an italian sub.

LMF - i'd love to have lunch - next week is tough though - so please plan without me and if i can, i'll swoop in at the last minute.

--6 Train

what about DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine in Pike Place Market? Italian rather than jewish, but they've got a great selection of meats and cheeses. And a good selection of traditional italian sub fixins like Sclafani Hot Pepper Relish.

and about that Tat's review.. i personally don't put too much faith in a critic who doesn't try a sub (hoagie) at an italian sub shop. I'm definitely going to try it out this week.