• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh ground pepper service at restaurants

Minister of Drink

I think perhaps we should discuss giant cheese graters instead - maybe they'll arouse less controversy. I haven't seen them in any restaurants yet but have seen them touted in some online store as the perfect complement to thos three foot long peppermills.

This cheery thought from Ruminations.com puts so much in perspective for me:

I used to think that the worst feeling in the world was being lonely until I remembered that sliding down a giant cheese grater naked is also pretty bad. So it hit me what would be worst of all: sliding down a giant cheese grater naked and having no one to share it with...

Are there some servers who are unprofessional or nitwits?

Is there some postive correlation between level of restaurant and level of service?

Are there different and appropriate expectations of service at a large chain vs a good neighborhood restaurant vs a high end city restaurant?

Can one's expectations be overturned in either direction in any of these restaurant types?

For me, yes, yes, yes and yes.

What's the argument again?

(it's probably more wise to sit on the sidelines... :smile: )

p.s. I like peppermills on the table whenever possible.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I think perhaps we should discuss giant cheese graters instead - maybe they'll arouse less controversy.  I haven't seen them in any restaurants yet but have seen them touted in some online store as the perfect complement to thos three foot long peppermills.

I think being stuck naked inside a giant peppermill might be worse.

Once upon a time there was a nice topic about Fresh Ground Pepper Service! This was one of the bestest topic in all of eGulletland, but an evil wizard heard about how nice and popular this topic was, and became very jealous. He was trying to promote his own topic about Halibut flavored lollypops, and that wasn't going so well, so he cast a spell on the nice topic and everyone participating on it became temporarily insane and forgot that there was such a thing as an eGullet User Agreement, rules of common courtesy, off-topicness, or a sequel to "Saturday Night Fever".

Then another wizard came by (after unfortunately being out of town for too long) and waved his wand. Suddenly all the negativity and bad stuff was gone! And if anyone had a problem with it, they would have to use the PM system of eGulletland to complain!

The second wizard may have missed a spare reference or two, but he was confident that people could perhaps just start talking about Fresh Ground Pepper Service again and leave the baggage in the car.

THE END.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I usually find myself grinding a much greater amount of pepper on my food at home than I ask a server to put on my food in a restaurant.

I don't really know if this comes from some kind of "trust" I'm extending to the kitchen that they've already spiced the food enough, or if I'm just irritated by the whole process.

Personally, my ideal is that a pepper grinder (hopefully a somewhat smaller and less flashy one than a waiter might use) is already permanently on the table and I'll reach for it (or not) as I wish. I know how to work a pepper grinder just fine. It's not a case of doubting the staff, it's just natural for me since I do it at home all of the time.

Whether or not I EXPECT pepper probably also depends on the kind of food I'm eating less than the "level" of the restaurant. So I suppose my ideal of personal grinders always being at every table is a bit unrealistic.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Stick to Peugot.... at home and in the restaurants They are the best and come in all sizes.

Edited by Minister of Drink (log)

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

sorry, not sure who said it, but i can tell in one bite if i need more pepper, and i usually do. if i get fries, always pepper for me

i love the fine white pepper powder on special fried rice, lots of it.

i'd prefer to be able to add a pinch here and there than grind it or shake it on. different ground sizes too would be a good idea, with different salts too, that'd be a nice touch. thoughtful.

• 1 year later...

Something occurred to me today. In most decent restaurants, when you are served your salad, soup and sometimes main course, you are immediately presented with the foot long pepper mill and asked, "Do you want fresh ground pepper on that?"

I love lots of pepper, and so I usually say yes. It seems to me that that's akin to salting your food before tasting it - something most of us would never do!

Wouldn't it be smarter (and more respectful to those who prepared your meal) to taste first before adding any additional seasoning? This, of course would require servers to either give you enough time to taste - or - stand there while you taste. (This seems awkward.)

Am I just a rube? How do you handle the immediate offer to add pepper? I know that some of you carry pocket mills - are you the exception or the rule among foodies? Are more restaurants providing pepper mills at each table? I wonder what percentage?

I'd love to hear your opinions!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

My guess is this topic has been covered before. But my usual responses are either "Did the chef not season the dish appropriately?" or "Why don't you come back after I've had a chance to taste it, and I'll let you know." Granted, it's usually not the server's fault -- he or she is simply being required to do it by the manager.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Summary of previous threads on the topic:

* Pepper mills on tables is too expensive due to persistant theft

* People have come to expect fresh ground pepper as a bit of cheap theatre when dining out

* Servers can't afford to stand idle while waiting for someone to taste thier food

* The logistics of coming back for a second trip is too complicated and will frustrate some people

PS: I am a guy.

Forum Host:

Apparently I am thread search impaired. Please delete or merge this thread. I apologize for being redundant, I'll work on my search skills to improve! :wacko:

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Some people, including myself, enjoy the the taste of additional ground pepper on on food at the last minute before eating. This has nothing to do with the chef's preparation. I rarely do it to entrees or apps, but will grind pepper on salads, most soups, all veggies and in olive oil. To my taste, the fresh pepper enhances the flavor and texture of the foods mentioned above.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Some people, including myself, enjoy the the taste of additional ground pepper on on food at the last minute before eating. This has nothing to do with the chef's preparation. I rarely do it to entrees or apps, but will grind pepper on salads, most soups, all veggies and in olive oil. To my taste, the fresh pepper enhances the flavor and texture of the foods mentioned above.

Agreed. Especially with salads.

* People have come to expect fresh ground pepper as a bit of cheap theatre when dining out

that reminds me, I was recently at an Olive Garden in Phoenix (don't bother giving me shit, I was with my Dad), and they offered fresh grated Parmesan, but when I asked for pepper, was handed a shaker. How dumb is that?