• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Chef In The West

map

I understand from reliable sources that Lee Parsons who re-opened the Prince of Wales Hotel in Niagara on the Lake after giving up the stoves at Le Manoir aux Quat Saisons has been appointed the new Executive Chef at the Wedgewood Hotel & Bacchus restaurant in Vancouver.

Any word on when the transition begins, and any philosophy changes that make take place?  I was at Bacchus yesterday and would hate to see any drastic changes.  I find it to be a pretty safe bet.

Chef Parsons starts at Bacchus on October 25 and likewise I would not want to see drastic changes, from what I hear recently in the UK he has adapted his style in the more modern french way of things......we shall see I guess.

Any word on when the transition begins, and any philosophy changes that make take place?  I was at Bacchus yesterday and would hate to see any drastic changes.  I find it to be a pretty safe bet.

Chef Parsons starts at Bacchus on October 25 and likewise I would not want to see drastic changes, from what I hear recently in the UK he has adapted his style in the more modern french way of things......we shall see I guess.

Bear in mind that Le Manoir and the Prince of Wales (under Parsons) both feature classic french cuisine that's 20 years out-of-date

I find this an interesting comment. I have never eaten at P of W, but I have eaten at Le Manoir. The entire experience, from the quality of the food, presentation and service was impecible and beyond fault. I did not find that the cuisine was 20 years out of date either.

Have you had an opportunity to eat and Le Manoir and Prince of Wales?

Life is short, eat dessert first

I find this an interesting comment.  I have never eaten at P of W, but I have eaten at Le Manoir.  The entire experience, from the quality of the food, presentation and service was impecible and beyond fault.  I did not find that the cuisine was 20 years out of date either. 

Have you had an opportunity to eat and Le Manoir and Prince of Wales?

I have eaten at Le Manoir a few years ago and enjoyed one of my most memorable meals!

Bear in mind that Le Manoir and the Prince of Wales (under Parsons) both feature classic french cuisine that's 20 years out-of-date. That style didn't work in NOTL and Le Manoir has been passed by several other newer UK restaurants.

I would be curious to know exactly what elements you find vestigial about Le Manoir? David Hawksworth of Vancouver's West worked there for four years, amongst several other first rate British restaurants, and has used the discipline Raymond Blanc's instilled by teaching to great advantage here: his invention never over-reaches fastidiously sourced ingredients and he certainly knows when to get out of their way. That's a maturity and confidence that isn't easily earned.

As for some of the newer UK restaurants that have supposedly passed Le Manoir by, are you quoting the bleating (but proforma) mockney-speak of the gastropub; Gordon Ramsey-rooms; or real B&B equivalents such as the Waterside Inn? In all cases I think Le Manoir stacks up rather well. And it survives and flourishes; one has only to note that Pharmacy, the designy concept in Notting Hill that opened strongly, went dark this week.

Bacchus at the Wedgewood is distinguished by several features: a quite formal dining room sits (braised) cheek by (coddled) jowl with one of the most active bars in town. A piano man separates the two. The service is informed but friendly. Under Frank Dodd, who worked for Albert Roux, Bacchus was distinguished by a party up front (smoked salmon pizza, lobster rolls, coq au vin and strong drinks), and business in the rear (classically derived French assertively driven by local ingredients and wines). The lounge and restaurant, neither of which is large, combine as one of the highest grossing rooms in the city. The only challenge most nights is to decide which station to sit in--the servers, like most of the patrons, are disturbingly attractive.

My own thought is that Parsons' discipline, like Hawksworth's, will serve the needs of the room and Vancouver diners equally well. Especially when he finds out more fully what he has to cook with.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

My own thought is that Parsons' discipline, like Hawksworth's, will serve the needs of the room and Vancouver diners equally well. Especially when he finds out more fully what he has to cook with.

I agrree. I am looking forward to have another Le Manoir trained chef in Vancouver. I think we will be in for some great dining and am looking forward to the experience. :biggrin:

Life is short, eat dessert first