• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Negative Reviews

Thanks for being here - I am a big fan. I am sitting here over lunch, reading over your Q&A, and I was pleased to see the following:

Some think negative reviews should not be printed but I feel differently, especially for restaurants that are new, highly publicized, golden-oldies or any much in the public view.

Negative reviews lend credibility to the positive ones.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, and when I reviewed restaurants in Ann Arbor, I did publish a few negative reviews. Now, I have started writing for a Toledo paper, and my editor has directed me to write recommendations, not reviews. Any criticisms get edited out of my pieces. :rolleyes:

I have decided to swallow my pride and keep on with my articles for this paper because I want to write more and because it is somewhat of a challenge to be peppy all of the time. I like challenges! My husband is devastated. He thinks I'm ruining my reputation.

What do you think?

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I've been in that situation with book reviews.

I think it's tolerable if you have the choice not to review something at all if you can't say anything nice. It also helps if you are allowed to point out relatively strong points in such a way as to make it clear there are weak points and if you can say things like, "These people position themselves as [whatever] and for that they do a pretty good job," in other words identifying something that is not aiming all that high. I would not write a review that would lead people to spend money on a book and then be disappointed. In my view, that is where you draw the line.

if you do not have review a palce you think is badm that's one way out..but if you have to make it positive then that is totally indefensible..no way around that...

Thanks for the response. Luckily, I can refuse to review any place that does not deserve to be recommended.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac