• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Remember Old(ish) Brooklyn

ahr

Your mentions of “Brooklyn-by-the-Sea” and “huckleberry (not blueberry) pie” in the Truly American Cuisine thread brought the following to mind:

Which do your mourn more, the long-time absence of Lundy’s—which served fine blueberry (not huckleberry) pie—or its current state? How often do you pine for Ebinger’s, which did sell the real (huckleberry) thing? What about Gage and Tollner? Sutter’s bakery on Flatbush and Caton?

More generally, what do you miss about the Brooklyn of your youth, and which recollections might you be able to share with us here?

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

What I miss most about the Brooklyn of my youth is my youth.

I think the re-done Lundy's is a travesty..perfectly terrible...No, the original Lundy's built on a pier into Sheepeshead Bay (not later and present site) served huckleberry pie...I loved the old gage & Tollner but it was not part of my growing up..

Ebinger's of course for blackout cake, pies, honey buns, and much more...I knew Sutter's best when it was on Greenwich Ave & 10th St. in the Village and especially miss the coffee cakes..pecan ring, etc.

Usually almost nowhere but about three weeks I did have the real thing - and very delicious it was - at Vento, a new Italian restaurant in the Meatpacking District...but huckleberries are very seasonal..these were probably from Oregon or maybe Michigan..I'm not really sure..

A web search reveals that the Automat also served a famous huckleberry pie, and that someone named Tom of Montana sells huckleberry-pie-in-a-jar, crust included.

It’s probably too late, but I’ll give Vento a call. Thanks—I think—for renewing an old obsession.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook