• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Tasting in Toronto

Ed Hamilton

There will be rum tasting Nov 16th at the Arcadian Court, 8th floor, in the Hudson’s Bay building at 401 Bay Street.

The event will be open to the public and will feature seminars on the history, production, blending and tasting of this classic spirit.

As soon as there is a contact for more information I will post it on my site and here.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 1 month later...

This is a wonderfull suprise. First I find Edward Hamiltons forum (from a link at his home site,MINISTRY OF RUM, that I read as often as I can. But I also find this fantastic forum "eGullet.com", with wonderfull conversations on rum. I will be replying to some of the questions in due course.

My biggest suprise ,following a scroll to the bottom of the page, was to find a RUM TASTING IN TORONTO.(Ontario,Canada) Which happens to be my home town.  I have talked to the organisers of the upcoming "CANE & CASK" rum tasting show,see Luis Ayala's page at http://www.rumshop.net/canecask. for details of dates/times/prices/location/contact & numbers. I am looking forward to meeting Edward at this show having enjoyed, learned and experienced many (some!) of his haunts, like a walk to Bollands Post Office, Antigua. Or a taxi ride to Westerhall, Grenada. Or a walk along Cane Garden Bay beach to Calwells Distillery (I believe no longer Distilling  but- just blending/bottling from Coroni.(T&T).

I have a lot to say about this form of Tasting and feel that The distillers/distribution agents and our Ontario Liquor Board ( Who controls Distribution/ Public sales,hospitality sales/all pricing and what can be carried or not.) have to carry the costs for putting on a show like this and not the public. Except in this case the public is asked to pay the majority of the entrance fee while the trade only pays a less than a third. Also its the public who will be buying the drinks eventualy, and turning the profits back in to the agents,distillers and the L.C.B.O. Also The Rum drinking public in Canada are quite well educated and usualy tell the barmen what the would like only to be told "never heard of that, its not available."  I spent three wonderfull nights at the bar at Hotel 1829, in StThomas where I found FIFTEEN Premium Sipping rums to sample and do my own rum tasting with the hotel owner. If I went to any bar or restaurant in Toronto I would only find 2 bar rums, 3 backshelf rums and maybe, if lucky an uppershelf rum.   So I am looking forward to this Rum Tasting with the hope that the restaurant industry and the L.C.B.O. learn about the wonders of rum.

Looking forward to meeting you Edward.

John Reekie       jr_rumsearching@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

John - I tried the website relating to the Toronto event that you have listed and got an error message that it does not exist ... is the address correct?

I even tried it by taking out the comma following it which is highlighted ...

Joy Lewis. . . Web Master - Emeritas and Friend to the Ministry of Rum Website

joy Lewis,   I did not check out my responce for the web site I gave, but its Luis Ayala's site-  www.rumshop.net   The new November, Rumshop Newsletter is now published look for page 7. or scroll through index for 'News" - 'Cane & Cask'. Hope you can find it .I will be there!.

John Reekie.

Here is the pertinent info as it appears on that fabulous "Newsletter" on the site you indicated ... it's worth looking at!  But since the date is coming up, here is the info directly (as copied from their newsletter, I hope they don't mind!)

-----------------------Read on

Ready for Rum?

1st Annual Cane & Cask Rum Tasting to Highlight World’s Finest This Fall

Toronto, November 16, 2001 -

Make room martini…rum has arrived. Taken neat or mixed as this summer’s hippest drink, the “mojito”, rum is enjoying a renaissance.

This fall’s Cane & Cask Rum Tasting event in Toronto will pay homage to this new found love for the beverage - offering

an opportunity for the public and the hospitality industry to sample some of the world’s finest rums.

“Rum has taken its cue from the recent success of other sipping spirits like single malt scotch and bourbon,” says Greg Albrecht, president of Barque Communications, the organization responsible for bringing the event to the city.

“Now premium sipping rum is taking its turn as the ‘it’ beverage of choice. Cane & Cask will be the ideal platform for industry and the public to enjoy and learn about this fine spirit.”

The event is scheduled to take place on Friday, November 16th at the Arcadian Court, 8th floor, in the Hudson’s Bay building at 401 Bay Street.

The first portion of the show (1-4 PM) will be open to trade and industry representatives to allow the distilleries in attendance to showcase their product directly to the buyers in the Ontario market. A tasting booklet will supply product overviews, an area for tasting notes and CSPC numbers for buyers interested in purchasing products in the future.

From 5-6 PM, educational seminars will be offered to both industry and the public by world renowned rum expert, Edward Hamilton. A master blender from one of the leading Caribbean based distilleries will offer an additional seminar on the fine art of blending premium rums. In order to provide for an

interactive experience, flights of rum will be served to all in attendance.

The public tasting will occur from 6-9 PM. Rum producers such as Wray & Nephew (Jamaica) and Angostura (Trinidad) will be showcasing their products and providing answers to questions about nosing, blending, proper service and appreciation for premium sipping rums. Tourism boards from the leading rum regions will round out the show by being on hand to promote travel and business interest in the various islands where the rums are produced.

Tickets to Cane & Cask are available for purchase through www.ticketmaster.ca (416-870-8000).

Admission to the Tasting Seminars is ฤ per person and general admission to the public tasting is โ per person. Further details regarding Cane & Cask can be obtained by contacting Barque Communications at (416) 533-8077.

(Edited by joynme at 1:07 pm on Nov. 3, 2001)

Joy Lewis. . . Web Master - Emeritas and Friend to the Ministry of Rum Website

Unfortunately I will NOT be able to attend, as noted in promotional materials, due to revised financial priorities set by the promoter immediately before the show.

I sincerely regret that I will not be able to attend but look forward to meeting you in the future.

At least it is warm in Grenada and the sun is shining.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.