• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enticing Indian beverages

spaghetttti

The supermarket that I frequently shop at just keeps getting better and better. Adjacent to the newly added Japanese corner, the Indian section is bursting with many products that are new to me. Such as these beverages:

gallery_11814_148_1096346634.jpg

I'll be stopping by later after work today, and I'm leaning towards the Badam and Kala Khatta.

Please tell me more about these and other brands. Do you like them? What other Indian thirst quenchers are popular?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

The supermarket that I frequently shop at just keeps getting better and better.  Adjacent to the newly added Japanese corner, the Indian section is bursting with many products that are new to me.  Such as these beverages:

I'll be stopping by later after work today, and I'm leaning towards the Badam and Kala Khatta.

Please tell me more about these and other brands. Do you like them?  What other Indian thirst quenchers are popular?

My personal favourite is the Kala Khatta but it needs an acquired taste. I suggest you try that the last, the others are nice and pleasant.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

hi spaghetttti-if you look here you'll find what the khus sherbet is flavoured with.(there is also a recipe for thandai there so you have an idea of what to expect!) it has a strange ,'back of the throat cool but not menthol 'after taste- :blink: nice if used very dilute.

you might come across http://hm.hamdard.com:5050/rooh_afza/rooh_afza.htm too-it's very luridly coloured and syrupy and again possibly an acquired taste but it has magical thirst quenching qualities!

more later!

Sometimes, one has found that the ambient conditions contribute greatly to the enjoyment of particular types of sherbet/soft drinks. In the parched dry heat of the North Indian summer, several things like rooh afza, watermelon, lemonade etc. take on a magical quality which is attenuated when the rains set in, or say, in winter.

So, some of your enjoyment will also depend on the climate at Bandung; one hears that it is relatively temperate and moist? If that is so, please factor in this 'ambient condition' variable when judging how satisfactory these packaged drinks were for you.

On cold days, blanched almonds ground with milk, strained, heated and flavored with saffron, crushed peppercorn, sugar and cardamom will seem appropriate; this is also not too different from the 'thandai', except for being a hot beverage.

Thank you all so much for your responses, truly appreciated.

My personal favourite is the Kala Khatta but it needs an acquired taste. I suggest you try that the last, the others are nice and pleasant.

Well, I ended up getting all of them. The Kesar Badam is truly a delicious treat. Smooth and subtle almond flavor. Episure, as you recommended, I will save the Kala Khatta for last. The next drink to try will be the Khus, curious & slightly anxious due to the information so kindly provided by gingerly.

So, some of your enjoyment will also depend on the climate at Bandung; one hears that it is relatively temperate and moist? If that is so, please factor in this 'ambient condition' variable when judging how satisfactory these packaged drinks were for you.

We are now at the transitional time from dry to rainy, where we have hot days and cool rainy nights. So I can see the Khus would be good for a hot midday beverage and perhaps a cup of heated Thandai would be enjoyable on the cool evenings?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti