• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next purchase??

Cj

Well after some shopping around I have decided on what I think will be my next rum to buy.

Lamb's special aged rum ..... but do I get the1939 or the 1949?? there is only about a Ű differance in price. Anyone ever have either or both and could persuade me one way or the other?

And the other purchase being 3 bottles from Cadenhead's green label rum. But do I get all three Jamaican bottle form differant years ie: 10, 12, 22 or 25? maybe I could afford all 4!!

OR

Do I spend the money and go for the 25 yr Jamaican, 25yr Guyana and the 25yr Demerara

I have been eyeballing this green label rum for some time now. I would have alreadied mail ordered it But John Reekie clued me into the store in central London. Not to far from me but far enough that I just can't hop on down to it. And just like cigars it is ooohh ssooo much more enjoyable to look at, hold and admire what it is you are about to purchase in your hands rather then on a computer screen. So I have been trying to find the excuse to take the train on into London. Thanks for the tip John but if I do not get to Covent Gardens in the next week or so I just may have to order this my phone.  My taste buds are starting to salivate in anticipation.

I have also found some Jamaican rum from Lond Pond Distillery.....distilled 1941....50%.....and it come in a antique wooden box!!!!! from Gordon & MacPhail. Great tip John and thank you again. This here is to $$$$$ for me though. Have not be able to find any info on Bristol Spirits yet still looking.

cj

hey Bolivar Petit Corona is that you favorite smoke or is it your everyday smoke?? If your around London in the next couple of months I have a Punch DC from 97 here for you. But which rum should we have with it?

yes the HC anejo reserva is around here in the UK but the  HC anejo anos (7yr) is just a few bucks more and taste  loads better....i think anyhow.

I might just have to have a partagas pc this evening.

cj

Well, I've 7 differ types of Cuban Rum open in my frig just now, including HC3 & 7, but wish I'd an open bottle of Anejo and not just an empty.

Probably Punch PC (Cab of 50 from 1998) for me tonight.

Did I mention good cigars are easy to acquire, if you know what you're doing?  And much less than in GB.

That Ron  Zacapa would taste good.....I should say always taste good but I only have one bottle and do not want to open it just sitting around watching TV tonight. So I  have some El Dorado 15yr (alread opened)or maybe even just plain ol water thisevening.

I did just pick-up that new RyJ piramide today maybe I'll try that.  ELA enjoy your Hoyo tonight (wow 94 ya got a whole box?)  and what a wonderful rum to match.

Having compainy over tomorrow evening might just crack the seal on my Ron Z.

Cj, are you talking the Edicion Limitada RyJ?  If so, and you've a whole box, I'd age them 3-5 years before tasting.  I've got a box them in the Montecristo Robustos and the Partagas Pyramids.  Will let you know in 2-4 years, as I've had them a little over a year.

Otherwise, if a single no problem.

CJ & Bolivar -- the RyJ Pyramide or Bellicoso is a nice smoke, especially when it has age to it.

As you probably know -- the RyJ (Exibi. # 2) Edicion Limitada or Limited Edition is not a pyramide/belli -- it'sa Double Corona. Yes, they need age. If you like to experiment and see how they are progressing, try one at a year, and then try another at 6 month intervals. I've done this with all of the Limited Edition's, including the Hoyo's (called Particulares).

The Hoyo that I had, yes, was excellent. From 1994, and I have several boxes. THis one came from a cabinet. The flavors, like the Ron Z, are nice and complex.

Enjoy

Eric

there is a new RyJ called a piramide 6 1/8 by 52. Keep your eye out for it in the days and weeks to come. But lets get back to Rum.

still looking for better info on the lamb's special aged rum before I buy 1 out of the 2 differant bottles.

cj

Cj ... while everbody has been enjoying their Cuban Cigars and Havana Club . ...did we ever go off on a tangent! I think that respected its own topic, I thought the topic was -What rums to buy in Great Britain, to bring back to the states.

Looks like you are enjoying your self with the hunt and getting some where. Its wonderfull to hear of someone out shopping with an open shopping basket, researching what to buy, then filling the basket with what they realy want. and not with just any five or seven year old.

Bristol spirits -I have not found any Web site for them but here is there phone number, North of Bristol .

Tel +44 - 1454 299880   Fax +44 - 145294572.

Look up Export News On Line > www.uken.co.uk/5-37.htm This will give you a sheet with owners name and full adress.  Look up 'Petrs Pages' for enlargements of some Bristol spirits Classic Rums.-

> www.rum.cz/ascii/gallery/eur/uk/bristol/img/uk-78.jpg

Some Classic Rums are available in the states through Internetwines >  WWW.Internetwines.com

also through Stephan Macha ( eGullet new member) in Germany > www.Macha-weine.de/shop  see other topics.

Bristol Spirits is the Blender - Classic Rum is the brand,- if this helps. No more time will contact you soon re your other  proposed purchases.

always RUMSEARCHING

l

Sometime the most direct route is best. I have had the # for Bristol Spirits but didn't call it until I saw it again John. It worked although they don't sell the rum directly...normally....they did give me a ph# to there distributor for the UK it was McKinley Vintners at 020 7928 7300 and after calling them they faxed my some of what they had. Come this friday I'll have a bottle of that Classic Rum from Brisol Spirits. Went for the Monymusk 23 yr Jamican rum and the lighter 13yr Long Pond.

Man the wife is going to kill me because I still plan on trying that Lamb's special age, Cadenheads, and to top it off next week I have a friend going to cuba. Any good ideas on what I should have him get me?? Gotta get the HC 15.....it is so much cheaper there but what else?? Ron Santiago 45 annv.(if he can find it), Matusalem Anejo, are there any real secretes anybody?? Maybe the lesser knowns or more simple yet good??

I'm glad rum doesn't cost as much as Scotch or Cognac....I would then have to get a 2nd mortage out on the house....or sell the wifes car!! between rum and cigars I'll be poor someday. For you cigar lovers I did show great restaint. I held that new Trinidad limited ed (oh so rare ) farmhouse box (not really a humidor) in my hands and yet did not buy it. 950 british pounds it just to much for 20 cigars that you can not smoke but should only keep as a collector's item.

but about the rum any good ideas for the trip to Cuba? 1 or 2 bottles is all I should ask for.

hey Stephan Macha..wow.....that site at www.macha-rum.de seems to have it all I must try it someday!

cj

Cj ...More Bristol Spirits info! ...I dont know how, but through someones links I came across 'Bristol Spirits ltd-Classic Rums', web site. What an entertaining site, I wish more  rum bottlers /distillers/ and or blenders, would put out informative pages like these.  Each page explanes the different 'stills' and histories, nine pages in all.  What is missing is what transpires between distilation and botteling .but maybe they will expand on their information with out giving away their trade secrets.  The more we pay for good rums, the more we deserve to be informed on the production of that rum.  Any way I am adding this to your Post, so that other people can pick up on some good rum information,  although I know that you have already been in touch with Bristol spirits, and intend to buy some of their rums.  

Bristol Spirits Limited .UK.           http:// home.btclick.com/bristolspirits/

Keep rumsearching!

Great site John. That must of been a bear to find, I've been looking, even talked to them in Bristol and no word about this sit. But they did enjoy telling me all about their rum. I will worn you if call long distant I was on the phone for the better part of an hour. It was a wonderful talk one that would of been great to have in the evening with a glass of the best they have ....neat. Great read/find John I but it in my Favorites file.

http://home.btclick.com/bristolspirits/

I went for the 2 Jamican.....1 long pond and 1 monymusk. I did find a uk base distributor that does sell it (mentioned them prior post and very eager). I also did find a site that sells most of thier rum.  

I hope when it comes time for the mover to pack me up I can get them to mark most of this as kitchinware  something anything other than spirits, rum or alcohol

http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/default....ype=rum

It has a good solection of the Bristol Spirits stuff. Although I did not purchase through them.

Hey anyone know the differance between the Lamb's special aged rum 1939 and the 1949........ok ok I'll say it so no others dol 10. but what else?

cj

CjBohl... Yes finding that Bristol Spirits Web Site was a gold mine. I think I will start a new 'Post' with the information. I think the Rum members and rum suppliers should see what a site on rum products should look like, and what sort of information we look for and deserve.

Lambs-1939 or Lambs-1949. Outside of -Lambs, United Rum Merchants. I dont think anybody on this side of the Atlantic has ever seen a bottle of these two rums.  Well we can all look at 'Petrs Pages'for a photograph. Try> www.rum.cz/ascii/galery/eur/uk/united_rum/img/uk_8.jpg     - Photo shows 39 bottle and a 49box...strange?

I only know that Lambs always was known for their Navy Rum which was a traditional British blend from various places in the tropics. The rum was brought to Britain and matured/blended together and the bottled. What sets Lambs-1939 and Lambs-1949 apart from others. Is that the Lambs-1938 would have been one of the last batches of rums,to be blended together, shipped to Britain before the start of the last war and it survived in Dunbarton (Scotland). During the war years all tropical distillerys were utilised in producing alcohol for the war effort and amunition production. It was also during the war that the Rum Rations to the  British  Forces was kept up, although sometimes delayed.  This was promised to all the forces, that they would always get their rum. Some what like the US Forces promise of Coca cola, often wonder why the two forces were alway friendly together. While it was the War of Independence that  was started when the British taxed  rum.!..  After the war production of rum started up again and then you got Lambs-1949.

Sorry thats all I can add.

The two bottles just arrived right before the weekend. Two from of the Bristol Spirits classic rum that is. But I will hold onto them for a few months before sampleing the good....maybe this summer on a warm full moon night?!

I did go for the Lamb's 1939...... and I can not wait to see it, hold it and after a years of admiring it maybe just maybe I'll try it. Ordered it thru Gordon & MacPhail but after talking to them they did say that they will not ship to the US. Good thing I got it before I move back to the states!

Cj

Cj ...Congratulations.   Now that you have the best of Jamaican U.K. Blender/Finisher/ Private Bottlers, may  I suggest just one more bottle . This fits in with the same catagory as the others,  ie Distilled in Jamaica, shipped to Europe/aged /blended/ then botteled. But this time  France in the Cognac Region.

" OLD ARTISINAL PLANTATION RUM ...JAMAICA  1983  17yrold  45%"  

by Cognac Ferrand, Chateau De Bon Bonnet.

As mentioned in an other topic,  by JasonPerlow, -"A definitely French Style", this should be a rum that is finished in Cognac barrels.  What you should find is that it came from one of your other Jamaican Stills.

I consider that it is designed for the western taste similar to their Kanishe Rums.

It is available in the states, but I think you should get it there to round of your 'Jamaica Collection'.

You should find it costs about two thirds of what your Cadenhead cost. So its not expensive.

Good luck. so keep rum searching!

Boy I'm going broke. I think it's time to just look at the differant rums and slow down again on the buying. Between the rum, the cabinet size humidor I have being made and then the cigars I'm out of money and will be living on the streets soon. I still have the rum that my friend might bring back from Cuba for me. Sad to say but I hope he doesn't bring back too many; my wife would $hit if she saw the money I have been spending.

Anyhow I must start getting ready for my move back to the states. The movers come on the 11 of March but I still have 2 trip before then. One to the states to register the kids for school and then a holiday over in Ireland. busy busy busy. It might even be hard to find the time to have a good glass of rum and a cigar.

cj

Cigars in the UK are very pricey. My heart feels for you. LOL.

Don't worry, here in the states, you'll be fine. Well aged and mature cigars are very easy to come by . . . if you know where to look or if you have the right friends, LOL.

Where in the US are you moving to?

Eric