• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Hidden Kitchens Project" on NPR

Gifted Gourmet

new NPR Radio food show

This fall, NPR presents a new series that brings the lure of food and vitality of kitchens to the radio..... will air on NPR's Morning Edition each Friday, beginning Oct. 1 through Dec. 24. "Hidden Kitchens" opens the door to the world of unusual, historic and hidden kitchens, street corner cooking and legendary meals from across the country. The series chronicles an array of kitchen rituals and traditions, from kitchens tucked away in carwashes and bowling alleys to clambakes and church suppers. The stories feature an eclectic gathering of famous and everyday folks who find, grow, cook, sell, celebrate and think about food.

Shows include stories: The Call for Kitchens, The Chili Queens of San Antonio, Campaign Cooking, Burgoo, Ricing ... and more. The article has the full schedule and the topics described in detail ... most interesting!

Think this is something which might interest you? Let's hear from you! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I believe that the most recent Saveur mentions this briefly. Sounds great!

I agree! Here is an even more interesting look at "The Kitchens Project" directly from NPR's website:

click here

In this sound-rich series, you'll hear the voices and stories of street vendors, home cooks, anthropologists, foragers, grandmothers, chefs, food historians and public radio listeners nationwide

more about the Kitchen Sisters

I believe that the most recent Saveur mentions this briefly. Sounds great!

could not resist mentioning--the same Savuer mentions my tiny cooking school...as a participant in their "Saveur Cooks Authentic French" program. we are absolutely tickled!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

could not resist mentioning--the same Savuer mentions my tiny cooking school...as a participant in their "Saveur Cooks Authentic French" program. we are absolutely tickled!

Well, congrats! That ought to help out with enrollment! :biggrin:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 3 weeks later...

According to a press release issued at the end of September, the series will continue through December and will include topics such as NASCAR Kitchens, Campaign Cooking and Burgoo.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

This is a great feature. Burgoo was the first week, I believe, and my favorite so far was the George Forman Grill installment. I know it sounds weird (it did to me, too, especially as I was just waking up) but it's wonderful so you might want to check it out in the archives.

Amy in Michigan

I missed this morning's installment (it's pledge week, and while I donate I get really annoyed by the telethon-sounding programming that gets in the way of the regular shows) but I heard the George Foreman episode. It was wonderfully done; I loved the way it was edited to weave together commentary with interview. I also learned a lot about George!

It was wonderfully done; I loved the way it was edited to weave together commentary with interview.

That was precisely my reaction as well! NPR does things with aplomb and they do know their craft, their audience .. which is why I brought this notification here where it might best be appreciated! Glad you found a lot in it to learn and enjoy ... :biggrin:

Feature on Chile Queens this morning was excellent!  Brought together food, culture, history -- all the elements that make me love food AND public radio!

Just listened to this on my computer; it was very interesting and poignant. As I listened, I wondered if there has been any attempt to "resurrect" the idea. The briefly mentioned some attempts in the 1980's but from what I could tell--it got gobbled up by the Riverwalk development, etc. Maybe I should start a thread on this... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"