• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salem/Marblehead Mass eats

richl2214

Going next month to Marblehead to a B&B. Would like to know the best local eateries. Seafood/Italian/Steak.

I plan on hitting Essex for the Chowda and Onion Rings at Woodman's. Any other must eat suggestions while there? Lunch dinner whatever. Prices aren't an problem.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I plan on hitting Essex for the Chowda and Onion Rings at Woodman's.  Any other must eat suggestions while there?  Lunch dinner whatever. Prices aren't an problem.

Unless you've already been there and disagree, hard as that would be for me to believe, I suggest you drive right on past Woodman's in Essex and eat at the Clam Box in Ipswich instead.

Of course this delves into one of the great controversies of our time: batter vs. breading.

Regarding the chowder, I don't have a really clear memory of the Clam Box version, but I ordered chowder at Woodman's once and it was ruined by hard, bitter potatoes. I also thought the clams were a bit lonesome.

I think once my wife had chowder at the Clam Box and I had a little snort and it was OK. When we go there I am usually up to my shell-like ears in fried clams, and have no guilt left over to waste on a cream soup.

Better yet, why don't you try both places and see if you don't get Converted?

Best luck,

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

DAY ONE

Breakfast: Fried clams at Farnham's in Essex. (They also used to sell a pretty decent blueberry muffin.)

Lunch: Fried clams at Essex Seafood, also in Essex.

Dinner: Fried clams at the Clam Box in Ipswich.

SUBSEQUENT DAYS

Repeat Day One.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

I'll second the Clam Box over Woodman's. Way over. I'll likewise add that I've not had their chowder, but the fried seafood kicks butt. Be prepared for a wait.

I grew up in Marblehead and can't think of a good place to eat there. Plenty of mediocrity, but nothing outstanding. I'm sure others will disagree.

The Grapevine in Salem is very good. The Lyceum can be good, too. Not far away in Beverly, I'm hearing strong compliments about Soma. Yanks and Cygnet are both well respected places in Beverly Farms.

DAY ONE

Lunch: Fried clams at Essex Seafood, also in Essex.

Dinner:  Fried clams at the Clam Box in Ipswich.

SUBSEQUENT DAYS

Repeat Day One.

I'm gonnah second these recs for the Clam Box (best source for BIG bellies) and Essex Seafood, my favorite all-around winner up there...I especially like the lobster bakes, 2 lobsters with steamers and clams, and their lobster rolls are the winners, altho you have to ask them to grill the bun....Their clams are equal to the Clam Box's, except for size.. Their chowder is not worth the calories, IMHO...It's BYOB, by the way. Bring a nice, crisp white and enjoy..I like Farnham's spicy scallop (?) chowder, and their fried cod cheeks if they have them, but I'm not a big fan of their clams.....

And, of course, I save the big thumbs down for Woodman's, an overpriced dinosaur with rotten atmospere resting on it's laurels...Yuk..It's got the atmospere of an all-you-can-eat buffet, with large people unhappily eating large orders of greasy food.

The only reason to go there is for the Raw Bar upstairs, unaivable downstairs, which the otherds Essex joints don't offer...

[in Marblehead, a good breakfast option is The Driftwood...right by the town pier...simple but good...expect a wait on the weekend.

Barnacle in Marblehead is in a great spot...probably a short walk from the b and b. Food is not as good as the view..but if you stick to chowder or fish you should be ok..or just cocktails :wink:

For fried clams or lobsters, Essex Seafood, Farnhams and Clam Box are all great.

Thanks for the tips! I'll take your advice on Woodman's and go with one or all of the others.

Keep em coming if ya got any more suggestions.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species