• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The State of Food Journalism

Thanks so much for joining us here!!

I wonder what your opinion is on the state of Food Journalism. Do you think that newspapers and magazines are doing a good job informing their readers about issues such as nutritition, genetically modified foods, the fate of the small farmer, etc?

Additionally, which writers do you feel are "must reads?"

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

In general, I think the press does a pretty good job of informing us of the more serious issues on food - those you described. They do a less good job on the more stylish aspects of what is in and trendy, and overly celebrate chefs.

I cannot think of any must-read but that depends on the lvel of experience of the readers. After reading about food for 50 years, I find little new on food pages but much more so on business and general news pages.

As a follow-up....

If you peruse this site, you'll see that a frequent discussion regarding the what books make up the "great books" on food. What books/writers would you suggest to someone who's just developing an interest in food or someone who wants to build a thorough library?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Building a food library depends somewhat on whether you are interested in all cuisines as I am although not all equally. I certainly consider essential all works by MFK Fisher, Elizabeth David, the first two of Marcella Hazan, all by Giuliano Bugialli, Artusi, Escoffier, Joy of Cooking, the Asian cookbook by Charmain Solomon for an overview,

The German Coobook by me, a set of Time Life Food of the World Series if you can get your hands on them, Brilliat-Savarin translation by MFK, and then see where your interests take you...baking, confectionery,Spain, Middle East (all by Claudia Roden), Indian (all by Madhur Jaffrey..look at bibliographies in those books and follow your interests...

Ms. Sheraton, I hope you don't mind if I give you a plug, but I'm eagerly looking forward to your visit to Boston University in November. I'm a student in BU's culinary arts & MLA Gastronomy program. Anyone in the New England area who is interested, Ms. Sheraton will talk about doing culinary research on Tuesday, Nov. 9, 6pm. More details are at the BU Metropolitan College Seminars in the Arts and Culinary Arts website.