• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice for a Traveler

jogoode

Thank you so much for being with us, Mrs. Sheraton.

There are many reputable books to guide you through a trip to France, Spain, Italy and the US. But when it comes to Asian countries, I've found a dearth of accessible and reliable information on eating. I just came back from a trip to Japan, during which I was occasionally successful in finding restaurants recommended to me by friends. But more often I was either in an area for which I had no recommendations or had such a hard time navigating that I couldn't find restaurants that had been recommended. All this trouble while traveling with a friend who spoken decent Japanese! For Thailand and Vietnam, I'd expect even less information on where to eat.

My question, in light of your extensive travels to Southeast Asia -- where if I visit I would not be with someone who speaks the language -- is how did you make sure your trips included good food. And more important, how did you learn about each country's food while you were there (aside from reading books in English before and during the trip)?

I'm not sure if I've left you much room for an answer -- aside from reading as much as you can beforehand and trying to travel with someone who knows the country, there might not be anything else to do -- so tell me if that's the case.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

You're right about the main ways to do it..reading and asking..I have been fortunate enough to have food contacts in most countries in most countries who have guided me..otherwise I ask anyone who speaks English - even cab drivers but rarely hotel concierges who tend to send foriengers to "safe" places. I would of course try to access newspaper and magazine articles dealing with various places, but thatis obvious. Sorry not to be of more help.

And of course, eGullet is a useful source of information. I got good recommendations from Malaysian members in advance of a trip I took there in 2003.

One odd thing that happened in 1975 was when my parents asked the concierge in an international luxury hotel in Seoul (KAL was putting us up because a delayed flight from Tokyo caused us to miss our connection to Bangkok) to tell us where to find genuine, authentic Korean food. With a mischievous grin, he sent us to an extremely downscale, blindingly hot-peppery restaurant that was terrific. You should have seen his face when, upon returning, we told him we had liked our meal very much! You also might have some success if you ask hotel personnel where they like to eat.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm not sure if I've left you much room for an answer -- aside from reading as much as you can beforehand and trying to travel with someone who knows the country, there might not be anything else to do -- so tell me if that's the case.

In this regard, blogs are a godsend. Perhaps in truly remote regions you'll be at a loss, but the English speaking food diaspora blogs like mad. Just the other day I came across Noodle Pie, a nice blog from Vietnam. Blogs and newsgroups have, or will inevitably in the future, a greater impact on food awareness and "road" and travel dining than print media.

With all the dystopic media chatter about capitalism's promotion of homogeneity, is DIY media like this a sufficient counterweight? Are the extremes becoming more extreme and the center hollowed out?

rien