• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flatiron steak

hillvalley

Im a big fan of SV I cant show you my freezer as its full.

how many people will you feed this to? just yourself ( :biggrin: )

this cut is tender as is. if you had 10 of these and wanted to have a lot of stuff ready to go in you freezer, then fine for the SV.

Id do SV (tendon-less) with some seasoning at 130.1 for 4 - 6 hours or so then sear.

thanks for the pics!

Roll it with Activa (it wont look like a bacon pinwheel, you wont even be able to tell its been glued if you wrap it up tight), and cook sous vide just long enough to bring it up to temp, then slice and sear.

We do this with both hangar and ribeye cap where I work with beautiful results, although we generally only bring the log up to 127 before searing.

You were wrong. And dont even say it wasnt tight enough, I even used a sushi mat to make sure it was rolled up as tight as possible. Next time i know to cut and stack.

102_5407.JPG

102_5411.JPG

I do these 'wheels' with my sirloin tips that are cut at length. not 'bits' I season them and then pin wheel them, with a string ( not along the circumference as thats a little difficult ) tie them just so they stay put as I insert them in the bag.

the vacuum and cooking seem to keep them 'whole' for the meal.

but Im very much game to try some activa soon.

how did they taste? I bet a lot different than those cuts you have had at the various restaurants.

if you get some more and stack, SV then brown you have a "Roast" and beets many others!

Ok heres my opinion. As far as flavor it doesnt even come close to a ribeye or NY strip(which i can get for almost 1/2 the cost). Flavor and tenderness is about equal to select grade filet mignon which i can get for about about 2 dollars more per pound then what i payed (on sale even) and not have to deal with all the work i went through to shape it into a filet. That said, I dont see what is so great about this cut. Maybe 10 years ago when this cut was $2.99/lb it seemed like a good deal, but normal everyday price of $6.99-$8.99/lb they can keep it. I really was expecting more flavor but it just wasnt there. To compare this to rib cap is a joke. With rib cap you get that nice bit of fat around the cap that gets nice and charred on my searing burner.

/rant

I completely agree its priced itself out of its market. I stay with sirloin tips on sale. 3.99 - 4.99

the other cuts you mentioned are at least 2 x as much.

Well, in my area, I can get a whole choice NY strip loin for $3.97-$4.97/lb atleast twice a month they go on sale. Choice ribeye is usually $6.99/lb already nicely trimmed and cut thick packages at samsclub. Sometimes they have them $5.99/lb. Select grade whole beef tenderloins are $6.95/lb at a local cash and carry.

• 10 years later...

flat iron steak

Other names applied:  top blade steak, book steak, petite steak, butlers' steak (UK), oyster blade steak (Australia and New Zealand)

technical ID:  North American Meat Processor (NAMP) meat buyers guide, it is item #1114D Beef Shoulder, Top Blade Steak.

• Like 1