• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flatiron steak

hillvalley

Picked up a flat iron with Malawry this weekend at one of our local farmers markets. A couple of weeks ago I bought a jar of freshly grated horseradish.

I am very new to cooking steak so HELP!

What should I make

How should I prepare it?

The steak will be joined by a mesculin salad and roasted potatoes from Squashblossom's farm.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Look up Alton Brown's technique.

In short, screeching hot cast iron pan, 30 seconds on each side to sear, pop the whole thing into a 500 degree oven for 2-3 minutes per side (depending on the steak) for medium or so.

Use the horseradish and the parsley with some lemon juice, salt, pepper, and some mayo or sour cream for a little dipping sauce.

Yummy. When's dinner?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Love both ideas but.....

no grill (or backyard) or cast iron pan :angry:

I don't suppose my generic non stick pan will work?

What about broiling it?

As you know I bought the same steak yesterday, and I ate mine for dinner. I just seared my steak in a regular nonstick pan with butter, my usual preferred method. I like the butter because I think it adds to the crustiness of the steak.

Details: Heat your oven to 450 degrees if you like your steak beyond med-rare. Bring your steak to room temperature. Pat it dry and rub it on both sides with a little sea salt. Heat a medium-sized skillet over high heat until a drop of water bounces and then disappears when flicked in. Drop in a small pat of butter, then the steak. Don't futz with it or anything until you can see the cooked-looking area on the edge of the steak is at least halfway up from the bottom of the pan. Flip the steak (don't use a fork, use tongs or a fish spatula).

At this point, if you like your steak medium-rare or less, you can finish it in the pan--but if you like it more done (and I recall you ordering beef medium when we have been together) you can just pop it in that hot oven right away after flipping. For medium I'd probably leave it in the oven 3-4 minutes (this is a small steak). If you want it medium-rare let it sear on side 2 in the pan for about 3 minutes, if you want it rare pull it off in about 2 or once side 2 has been seared and is crusty good. (If you just barely get a crust on both sides you may have a blue steak. I have eaten this particular steak blue before and it's delicious.)

OK. So your steak is done. Remove it from the pan and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle the top with a little of the parsley, chopped. This will be nice and aromatic from the steak's heat. I lobbed a knob of butter on top of mine because there's never enough butter while it rested; it melted and got a little foamy and gooood.

Meanwhile, get some creme fraiche. Add some of that horseradish, s, cracked black p. Stir thoroughly. Put in a squeezie bottle.

Using a serrated knife, cut the rested steak (it needs about 3 minutes to rest) on the diagonal. Put it on the plate, crossing the triangles attractively. Pour on the juices that came out during resting and when you cut the steak. Squirt on a squiggle of horseradish creme fraiche. Sprinkle with some crunchy sea salt like Maldon. Encircle with roasted potatoes. Snarf, dunking the potatoes in the juices and the horseradish creme fraiche. Invite me over next time.

Small muscle when you cut up a Blade Chuck . Might be called a tritip out west not sure. Looks like an Iron bottom.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Success!!!!

Flat iron steak with a Greek yogurt and horseradish sauce accompanied by fingerling potatoes roasted in chicken fat.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...cmd=si&img=2397

(I can't remember how to post the image. If someone will PM me I'll fix it :wink:)

Note to self: disarm smoke alarm or turn on fan next time steak is attempted

It came out a bit rarer than I would like, but the smoke alarm going off threw me for a bit of a loop. The ends were perfect and when I reheat the rest of the meat for my steak salad tomorrow for lunch it will be a perfect medium.

My local coop didn't have creme fraiche so I opted for Greek yogurt instead. I needed a lot of horseradish to counteract the yogurt but it is delish. Threw in a bit of lemon juice and evoo to thin it out a bit. I will use it as the dressing for tomorrows salad at lunch.

Thanks for all of your help :smile:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

Yum! Beautiful. Too bad we're so far apart -- I'd make you a larb for a flat iron steak meal -- you cooked it just the way I like it!

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 8 months later...

there's a butcher and market called joe's, which is on jenkintown ave, i think, between dresher and glenside. my parents go there a lot, and they were the first ones who sold us a flatiron steak, sometime last year. i had never heard of it before, but it was very tender and flavorful. so i don't know if you're in the northern suburbs, but if you are, you could try there.

Why do you want flatiron steaks? My butcher detests cutting them, say its a pain in the B__T and as its a shoulder cut, tends to be overrated. If your going to take the time to fire up the the grill, why not a ribeye? I'm just curious, do you want something different, or do you really like the flatiron? I've never had one, after talking to my butcher, I passed on the option, should I actually eat one first or does the butcher know best?

www.hendricksfarmsanddairy.com

I fail to see the attraction to a Flat Iron steak. It is off the shoulder, takes an enormous amount of trimming to secure something worth grilling and after all that trouble it is not nearly as good as Hanger Steak. Flatiron does have a cool name though....do not waste your time looking around for a flatiron. It is worthy of a chili pot, nothing more. Hanger, Flank & Sirloin are all better alternatives. A tender flatiron has been pounded to death or needled until it resembles Sponge Bob. The other steaks need no such torture.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

I picked up a pack of 4 at Safeway (former Genuardi's) on Namman's Road in North Wilmington. They had a sale on them for this week. Did them on the grill in a Montreal seasoning to Medium-Well. They were very juicy, tasty and delicious. The only thing however, is that the were rather small portioned, almost like a filet. Very tasty however. I know Espositos carries them, but they are cut differently from the roast. Also, check out Harry Ochs. My porterhouse I picked up there last weekend was fantastic. Also picked up a first cut beef brisket for smoking.

While the flatirons were good, getting a good porterhouse from Harry Ochs or D'Angelos in the Italian Market would probably be more satisfactory for you.

• 1 year later...

Just bought a flat-iron steak recommended by my butcher and only recently available ... What's the best, tastiest preparation?

Also, skirt steak is something I'm unfamiliar with - looks a little like sliced flank steak, but I'm not sure how to handle it. I suspect a marinade and cutting across the grain would be right, but how long to cook? Should it be panfried over high heat?

Thanks

Rover

Rover

Skirt steak is one of my favorites once you get past the price. I have never had much luck panfrying it though, I usually marinate with worchestershire, garlic etc or even better, spring for D.L.Jardines Fahita marinade and then grill to Med Rare. The meat seems to exude too much moisture for succesful pan cooking, it ends up swimming.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Rover,

Flat iron is one of the more tender steaks and has wonderful flavor. You may cook it pretty much like any other steaks with a few caveats.

The grain runs the length of the flat iron steak while most other steaks are cut across the grain. This means the steak will puff up while cooking, caused by the grain shrinking. A 3/4" flat iron will cook like a much thicker strip steak. The grain running the length also means the steak will retain moisture better than a typical loin steak.

A good sear on each side followed by a short roasting period is a good method to cook this or any other steak. Slice your flat iron across the grain for service.

Good luck,

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

MMM. Skirt Steak=Carne Asada. Family recipe is marinating the skirt steak in a combination of:

lemon juice

dried oregano

beer

garlic salt

fresh garlic

black pepper

(I also like to add a little EVOO)

Then throw on a hot grill and scorch briefly (do not overcook :) Yum. I think I know what's for dinner tonight!

I grilled a flat iron steak Sat nite. I used salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides and then put a thin coating of Helmans dijonnaise on both sides. Kept in fridge 6 hours and then grilled. Slice across the grain and serve--delish!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.