• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

monday night eats (sea)

I'll happily give it another try, because people I trust really love it, but the only time I was there I felt like I was 90 years old.  That's just the way the atmosphere makes you feel.

So glad I'm not the only one who felt this way!! The space is weird! Like it use to be a Denny's in a strip mall. But the food was fantstic! Who wants to tell the owner to update so we can all be in love with the food and the atmosphere??

:raz:

I went to Nell's for the first time Monday night.

I thought the food was quite good, actually. I had a starter of consisting of a generous portion of dungeness crab salad with crisp cubes of Braeburn apple. My main was a crisp skinned duck breast served medium rare, just as the waiter suggested it would be. I finished with a nice selection of five cheeses and fresh figs. I didn't care much for the young goat cheese--I am in general biased against that style--but the other four, ranging from gouda to St. Marcelin, were all top notch. Across the board I thought the food was well executed and I would certainly like return to try a couple of the other items on the menu.

Service was attentive, informed, and well timed, but the place was near empty so the staff was not overly stressed.

I found the decor a bit unexpected, especially given the cuisine; but I think the same of the main dining room at Nishino. Dimming the lights just a bit would do wonders for the both of them.

The wine list has some good breadth not only locally but also across France, Italy, and some bits of Spain. I especially appreciate that they took the time to put together a nice selection of half bottles. It makes pairing wines with courses so much easier for small parties. I recall, however, thinking the prices were a tad on the high side relative to some of the same bottles at other area restaurants. But now I'm doing a double take becausse I went to the list on the web site and the prices posted are far more reasonable than I remembered. I'll take notes next time just to be sure I'm not misremembering things.

On the whole, it's worth a trip in, especially if decor issues don't bother you too much. It's not the most convenient location for me, but I suspect I will be back there again.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I have to give a vote for Nell's. I ate there this Spring. I wanted the Duck but there was another item that had fresh morels and I wanted that as well. The waiter said no problem. I was later presented with a delcious Duck dish in a morel sauce. I'm hoping to go this October if that pulls through I'll post a verdict.